Collection of Antique Boys' Books - Set of 4
This product is no longer available.
Great hard-to-find collection of four antique boys' books, all pictorial hardcovers from the late 1800s to early 1900s. All the ...
more Great hard-to-find collection of four antique boys' books, all pictorial hardcovers from the late 1800s to early 1900s. All the books are in good reading condition inside, with some random age spotting, toning (as expected) and a small tear or two. 'Peck's Bad Boy and His Pa' is the largest of the set, and has the most illustrations by True Williams (prolific Mark Twain illustrator).. The other three books claim just a frontis illustration or only the pictorial hardcover (Jed, The Poorhouse Boy). All of the books are intact, with some hinge loose, but all are sturdy and all are legible. The previous owner of 'Peck's Bad Boy' penciled in his name and address on the inside front cover and first blank page, as did the owner of The Allies book. The overs are pretty fabulous. Somewhat worn, but the illustrations reflect their era, and when you pick one up, you know it's special.
The set includes (in chronological order):
'Jed, The Poorhouse Boy,' 1899, by Horatio Alger, published byJohn Winston.
'Tom Swift and His Sky Racer', 1911, by Victor Appleton, published by Grosset & Dunlap
'The Boy Allies with Uncle Sam's Cruisers,' 1918, by Ensign Robert L. Drake, published by A.L. Burt, and
'Peck's Bad Boy and His Pa', 1927( 1883 original) by George W. Peck, published by David McKay. With 100 illustrations by True Williams. less
- 5.5ʺW × 4.5ʺD × 8.0ʺH
- Fair Has lived a "full life" and has a distressed look with noticeable wear
The Sophisticated Reader in Los Angeles, CA
Vintage literature, art & design books, fashion magazines, decorative accessories & One-of-a-Kinds for the Sophisticated Reader.
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the buyer's location.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about 3-6 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- If additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs, buyers should make sure to plan accordingly.
- Returns & Cancellations
- Except for Local Pickup and Local Delivery, buyers have 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item(s) and contact email@example.com if they wish to return an item. There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable). Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.