Large William IV Silver Tray by Paul Storr, 1837
This is a wonderful english antique william iv sterling silver tray, or salver, by the world famous silversmith paul storr. … moreThis is a wonderful english antique william iv sterling silver tray, or salver, by the world famous silversmith paul storr. It has clear hallmarks for london 1837 the maker's mark of paul storr and is also engraved storr & mortimer 36, they were goldsmiths and jewellers to her majesty’ (1822-1839). It is typical of his work with the octafoil shape and the exquisitely detailed foliate and acorn rim. It is raised on four delightful foliate and shell scroll feet. The centre is engraved with a shield shaped coat of arms encompassing the lion rampant which i have had researched: the arms of the family of king the arms as engraved upon this william iv english sterling silver footed salver by paul storr hallmarked london 1837 are those of the family of king. They may be blazoned as follows: arms: sable a lion rampant between three crosses formy fitchy argent undoubtedly this salver was in the possession of a gentleman who was member of a family bearing the name of king. There are a number of variants of these armorial bearings being borne by king families. Very often the lion is of a different tincture but the field of the shield is invariably remains ‘sable’. Similar arms and crest were recorded by sir edward bysshe, clarenceux king of arms in his visitation of the county of kent of 1663 to the family of king, of bromley. The tinctures of both arms and crest of king, of bromley were slightly different to those engraved upon this tureen in that the visitation family’s arms were ‘sable a lion rampant ermine between three crosses paty fitchy or’ 1 and the crest ‘a lion’s gamb erect and erased sable holding a cross paty fitchy or’(see illustration below). These arms and crest were granted by sir edward walker, garter king of arms on the 20th february 1660 – 61; and yet another kentish family of king, of bellevue who were created baronets within the baronetage of great britain in 1792 bore for their arms ‘sable a lion rampant erminois between three crosses paty fitchy or’. Their crest being the same as the family of king, of bromley. There is no mistaking its unique quality and design, which is sure to make it a treasured piece by any discerning collector. Please see potos of the 2nd baronet timothy shelley, 1753-1844 and castle goring, his home. Condition: in excellent condition with clear hallmarks and no dings, dents or signs of repair. Please see photos for confirmation. Dimensions in cm: height 4 x width 44 x depth 44 weight 1.96 kg dimensions in inches: height 2 inches x width 1 foot, 5 inches x depth 1 foot, 5 inches weight 63 troy oz paul storr born in london england in 1771, was to become one of the most talented silversmiths of the nineteenth century. Today his legacy of exceptionally well crafted silver, found worldwide in museums and private collections, leaves one in awe when compared to that of his contemporaries.after having served a seven year apprenticeship from the age of 14, he began his career in 1792 when he went into a brief partnership with william frisbee. This did not last and in 1793 a new mark, (his initials ‘p s’) was entered. By the beginning of the nineteenth century he had established himself as one of london’s top silversmiths producing, amongst others, commissions for royalty. In 1801 he married elizabeth susanna beyer with whom he was to have ten children. In 1807 paul storr entered into a working relationship with philip rundell and by 1811 was a partner, and managing the workshops for rundell, bridge & rundell. During this period he kept his own marks and separate workshop. However it was through rundell, bridge & rundell who were appointed goldsmith in ordinary to george iii in 1804 that his reputation as a master silversmith grew. His talents lay in being able to transform ideas and designs from rundell, bridge & rundell’s designers, william theed ii, the chief modeller and head of the design department, and later john flaxman ii who succeeded him in 1817. During this period rundell, bridge & rundell’s reputation grew due to the patronage of the prince regent (later george iv). less
- 17.32ʺW × 17.32ʺD × 1.57ʺH
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Unknown, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Good — This vintage item remains fully functional, but it shows sign of age through scuffs, dings, faded finishes, minimal … moreGood — This vintage item remains fully functional, but it shows sign of age through scuffs, dings, faded finishes, minimal upholstery defects, or visible repairs. less
Return Policy - All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
- Silver Trays
- Serving Trays
- Metal Trays
- Breakfast Trays
- Round Trays
- Decorative Trays
- Melamine Trays
- Fruit Trays
- Snack Trays
- New and Custom Lacquer Trays
- New and Custom Aluminum Trays
- New and Custom Italian Trays
- New and Custom Leather Trays
- New and Custom Silver Trays
- New and Custom Trays
- New and Custom Art Deco Trays
- New and Custom Ash Trays
- New and Custom Asian Trays
- New and Custom Black Trays
- New and Custom Ceramic Trays
- New and Custom Chinoiserie Trays
- New and Custom Concrete Trays
- New and Custom Copper Trays
- New and Custom French Trays
- New and Custom Gold Trays
- New and Custom Islamic Trays
- New and Custom Marble Trays
- New and Custom Metal Trays
- New and Custom Mid-Century Modern Trays
- New and Custom Moroccan Trays
- New and Custom Orange Trays
- New and Custom Porcelain Trays
- New and Custom Rattan Trays
- New and Custom Wood Trays
The Chairish Buyer Guarantee ensures that you have complete peace of mind when
making a purchase on Chairish in the event that your item:
- Does not arrive
- Is broken during transit
- Is materially different than what you purchased
- On approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales are final once buyer or buyer’s agent takes possession of an item.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Local rates are available on most items where the delivery location is within 50 miles.
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks.
- In-Home Delivery
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.
- International Parcel
- International parcel shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through Fedex
- You will be updated with a tracking number once shipping is booked
- International parcel shipments can take anywhere from 1 - 6 weeks to be delivered
- In-Home Expedited International Shipping
- In-Home Expedited International Shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged by Metropolitan and will be delivered to your room of choice
- In-home expedited shipments can take anywhere from 3-7 weeks to be delivered
- Expedited International Shipping
- Expedited international shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- You will need tools and/or equipment to open the crate; Fedex will not open the crate for you
- You will be updated with a tracking number once your item has been booked for air shipment
- Expedited international shipments can take anywhere from 2 - 4 weeks to be delivered
- International Shipping
- International shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through Schumacher Cargo and automatically come with in-home delivery
- You will receive a tracking number once your item has cleared customs