- Casegoods & Storage
- China & Display Cabinets
- French Ormolu Mounted Marquetry Bijouterie Displa…
French Ormolu Mounted Marquetry Bijouterie Display Table, 19th Century
This is a truly beautiful large antique French Gonçalo Alves and ormolu mounted Louis Revival bijouterie display table, circa 1860 … moreThis is a truly beautiful large antique French Gonçalo Alves and ormolu mounted Louis Revival bijouterie display table, circa 1860 in date. The display table features a hinged and shaped serpentine top with inset bevelled glass. The top is inlaid with with shells and scrolling leaves, flanked by glass sides and with a green velvet lined interior. The brass hinges, the working lock, complete with original key, are of the highest quality. The inset bevelled glass is framed with egg & dart ormolu mounts and it stands on elegant ormolu mounted cabriole legs terminating in ormolu sabots. Bijouterie tables were designed to store and display a collection of small valuable items, they are also called table vitrines, and display tables. Condition: In excellent condition, please see photos for confirmation. Dimensions in cm: height 73 x width 71 x depth 46 Dimensions in inches: height 2 foot, 5 inches x width 2 foot, 4 inches x depth 1 foot, 6 inches Ormolu - (from French 'or moulu', signifying ground or pounded gold) is an 18th-century English term for applying finely ground, high-carat gold in a mercury amalgam to an object of bronze.The mercury is driven off in a kiln leaving behind a gold-coloured veneer known as 'gilt bronze'. The manufacture of true ormolu employs a process known as mercury-gilding or fire-gilding, in which a solution of nitrate of mercury is applied to a piece of copper, brass, or bronze, followed by the application of an amalgam of gold and mercury. The item was then exposed to extreme heat until the mercury burned off and the gold remained, adhered to the metal object. After around 1830 because legislation had outlawed the use of mercury other techniques were used instead. Electroplating is the most common modern technique. Ormolu techniques are essentially the same as those used on silver, to produce silver-gilt\. Gonçalo Alves is a hardwood (from the Portuguese name, Gonçalo Alves). It is sometimes referred to as tigerwood — a name that underscore the wood’s often dramatic, contrasting color scheme. While the sapwood is very light in color, the heartwood is a sombre brown, with dark streaks that give it a unique look. The wood’s color deepens with exposure and age and even the plainer-looking wood has a natural luster. Two species are usually listed as sources for gonçalo alves: Astronium fraxinifolium and Astronium graveolens, although other species in the genus may yield similar wood; the amount of striping that is present may vary. In the high tropical forests of Central and South America, well-drained soils furnish nutrients for a variety of dense, durable hardwoods sought for maritime use, heavy construction, and furniture. The Spanish began harvesting in Latin American forests in the early 1500s to provide timber for boatbuilding and repair. By the early 1900s, however, steel ships had replaced wooden ones, and the interest in tropical forests by both Europeans and Americans shifted to appearance-grade woods for furniture. Although history fails to provide us with a shopping list of species from either harvest period, it's probable that the wood we know today as goncalo alves has always been sought. That's because goncalo alves, considered one of the most beautiful of tropical woods, has a tough reputation, too. Strong and durable, it's used for construction in its homeland and secondarily for fine furniture. Woodworkers elsewhere treasure the wood for decorative items and veneer accents. less
- 27.95ʺW × 18.11ʺD × 28.74ʺH
- Place of Origin
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Unknown, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Good — This vintage item remains fully functional, but it shows sign of age through scuffs, dings, faded finishes, minimal … moreGood — This vintage item remains fully functional, but it shows sign of age through scuffs, dings, faded finishes, minimal upholstery defects, or visible repairs. less
Return Policy - All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
- Display Cabinets with Glass Doors
- Curio Display Cabinets
- Corner Display Cabinets
- Glass Curio Display Cabinets
- Antique Display Cabinets
- Retail Display Cabinets
- Wall Display Cabinets
- Liquor Display Cabinets
- Glass Door Display Cabinets
- Tall Display Cabinets
- New and Custom Wood China and Display Cabinets
- Locking Display Cabinets
- Wood China and Display Cabinets
- Glass China and Display Cabinets
- New and Custom China and Display Cabinets
- New and Custom Metal China and Display Cabinets
- New and Custom White China and Display Cabinets
- New and Custom Glass China and Display Cabinets
- New and Custom Mahogany China and Display Cabinets
- New and Custom Traditional China and Display Cabinets
- New and Custom Transitional China and Display Cabinets
The Chairish Buyer Guarantee ensures that you have complete peace of mind when
making a purchase on Chairish in the event that your item:
- Does not arrive
- Is broken during transit
- Is materially different than what you purchased
- On approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales are final once buyer or buyer’s agent takes possession of an item.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Local rates are available on most items where the delivery location is within 50 miles.
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks.
- In-Home Delivery
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.
- International Parcel
- International parcel shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through Fedex
- You will be updated with a tracking number once shipping is booked
- International parcel shipments can take anywhere from 1 - 6 weeks to be delivered
- In-Home Expedited International Shipping
- In-Home Expedited International Shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged by Metropolitan and will be delivered to your room of choice
- In-home expedited shipments can take anywhere from 3-7 weeks to be delivered
- Expedited International Shipping
- Expedited international shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- You will need tools and/or equipment to open the crate; Fedex will not open the crate for you
- You will be updated with a tracking number once your item has been booked for air shipment
- Expedited international shipments can take anywhere from 2 - 4 weeks to be delivered
- International Shipping
- International shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through Schumacher Cargo and automatically come with in-home delivery
- You will receive a tracking number once your item has cleared customs