Utrecht Armchair by Gerrit Thomas Rietveld for Cassina
Armchair designed by gerrit thomas rietveld in 1935. Relaunched in 2015. Manufactured by cassina in italy. Gerrit t. Rietveld came … moreArmchair designed by gerrit thomas rietveld in 1935. Relaunched in 2015. Manufactured by cassina in italy. Gerrit t. Rietveld came up with the design for the utrecht armchair in 1935 while working for the metz & co. Department store in amsterdam, where his brief was to make a chair for serial production. Taking market needs into account, while privileging a comfortable and relaxing experience, led to the elements of the chair being treated as separate units. As a consequence, the chair became an icon of both the neoplastic movement, and of rietveld’s experimental vision. The chair is also available in fabric or leather, with blanket or zig-zag top-stitching, in both cases in five colors. Important information regarding images of products: please note that some of the images show other colors and variations of the model, these images are only to present interior design proposals. The item that is selling is on the first image. Important information regarding color(s) of products: actual colors may vary. This is due to the fact that every computer monitor, laptop, tablet and phone screen has a different capability to display colors and that everyone sees these colors differently. We try to edit our photos to show all of our products as life-like as possible, but please understand the actual color may vary slightly from your monitor about the designer: gerrit thomas rietveld (24 june 1888–25 june 1964) was a dutch furniture designer and architect. One of the principal members of the dutch artistic movement called de stijl, rietveld is famous for his red and blue chair and for the rietveld schroder house, which is a unesco world heritage site. In 1934 rietveld designed a first series of crate furniture, consisting of an armchair, a small bookcase and a small table. These were items for which the appearance was largely dictated by the application of standard lumber size planks for different parts of the furniture. The choice of using standardized industrial products was motivated by rietveld’s aim to make furniture production more efficient. The furniture is almost completely built from firewood planks with a width of, circa 15 cm. A constantly recurring, distinctive wide chink is left between the planks. Dry joints connect the components with brass screws, which are left visible. At this time this type of wood and construction method was used for packing crates, hence the name of the series. The radically simple crate furniture was heavily criticized by some contemporaries, because of the lack of traditional workmanship. Rietveld defended his designs by saying that traditionally produced furniture was transported in crates to avoid being damaged. It was obvious to him that the packing material was stronger, and therefore better, than its content. After 1935 much more crate furniture followed, including various chairs, tables and stools. After producing them in his own name for a while, the crate furniture was sold by metz and co. Under the name ‘weekend furniture.’ because of the simple appearance and the relatively low price they were most suitable for holiday homes. About the manufacturer: in a continuing dialogue between past, present, and future, cassina has created the i maestri collection, revisiting furnishing designs by the twentieth century’s best-known architects, including le corbusier, pierre jeanneret, charlotte perriand, charles rennie mackintosh, gerrit thomas rietveld, franco albini, frank lloyd wright and marco zanuso. While the designs and functional concepts have been precisely preserved, the models have been manufactured using evolved technology. This is also the company that has manufactured iconic pieces of contemporary design from the 50’s to the present day, ideated by some of the most important international designers. Today cassina continues to look to the future of design with audacious, passionate curiosity and an open, holistic approach. It affirms its exclusive ability to furnish a home’s living and dining spaces completely and iconically with the cassina perspective: a concept, a philosophy, an informed, futuristic thought. A detailed, expansive horizon of combinations; when placed together, the products have an innovative soul and the modern icons create authentic, welcoming, personal atmospheres involved in a conversation dominated by a code of design excellence, formal sensitive awareness, solidity and cultural authority. less
+ Typical Shipping: 3-5 weeks
+ Typical Shipping: 3-4 months
+ Typical Shipping: 7-11 weeks
Return Policy - Cancel within 24 hours. This item is non-returnable.
- Pink Side Chairs
- New and Custom Art Deco Side Chairs
- New and Custom Bamboo Side Chairs
- New and Custom Children's Side Chairs
- New and Custom Mahogany Side Chairs
- New and Custom Bauhaus Side Chairs
- New and Custom French Side Chairs
- New and Custom Leather Side Chairs
- New and Custom Maple Side Chairs
- New and Custom Metal Side Chairs
- New and Custom Mid-Century Modern Side Chairs
- New and Custom Pink Side Chairs
- New and Custom Rattan Side Chairs
- New and Custom Side Chairs
- New and Custom Velvet Side Chairs
- New and Custom Wood Side Chairs
The Chairish Buyer Guarantee ensures that you have complete peace of mind when
making a purchase on Chairish in the event that your item:
- Does not arrive
- Is broken during transit
- Is materially different than what you purchased
- On approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales are final once buyer or buyer’s agent takes possession of an item.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Local rates are available on most items where the delivery location is within 50 miles.
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks.
- In-Home Delivery
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.
- International Parcel
- International parcel shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through Fedex
- You will be updated with a tracking number once shipping is booked
- International parcel shipments can take anywhere from 1 - 6 weeks to be delivered
- In-Home Expedited International Shipping
- In-Home Expedited International Shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged by Metropolitan and will be delivered to your room of choice
- In-home expedited shipments can take anywhere from 3-7 weeks to be delivered
- Expedited International Shipping
- Expedited international shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- You will need tools and/or equipment to open the crate; Fedex will not open the crate for you
- You will be updated with a tracking number once your item has been booked for air shipment
- Expedited international shipments can take anywhere from 2 - 4 weeks to be delivered
- International Shipping
- International shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through Schumacher Cargo and automatically come with in-home delivery
- You will receive a tracking number once your item has cleared customs