Bernini's Little Elephant & Obelisk Sculpture
This is a lovely miniature of Bernini's famous and beloved "Little Elephant" in the Piazza della Minerva in Rome Italy ...
moreThis is a lovely miniature of Bernini's famous and beloved "Little Elephant" in the Piazza della Minerva in Rome Italy.
The Original Bernini Sculpture, inspired by the 15th Century novel "Poliphil's Dream of the Love Battle" wherein Poliphilo encounters the Elephant Obelisk , stands in front of the church of Santa Maria sopra Minerva. Commissioned by Pope Alexander VII.
This vintage circa 1980 work, purchased in Rome, is executed in Italian Marble and metal (perhaps bronze), differs in some respects from the original but beautifully captures the the lighthearted and spirited essence of Bernini's beloved statue.
This is a lovely piece that has an incredible story and historical background to go along with it.. some of which is excerpted below...
In 1665, a five and a half meter tall obelisk inscribed with Egyptian hieroglyphics was found in the garden on the Dominican monastery. Pope Alexander VII decided to have the obelisk displayed in front on the monastery. Father Domenico Paglia, who was also an architect, proposed one design. His design had the obelisk resting over six hills, a symbol of Pope Alexander VII's family name. Also, there was a dog in each corner for the dogs are a sign of the Dominican priests. In Latin Domini canes means the Lord's dogs. However, the Pope rejected the idea of Father Domenico Paglia because he wanted the obelisk to be a symbol of knowledge.
Pope Alexander VII asked Bernini to submit a design. Bernini chose an elephant as a symbol of strength. The elephant design was inspired by the 15th century novel, “Poliphil's Dream of the Love Battle,” in which Polophil encountered an elephant made of stone carrying an obelisk. The pictures in the book bare a striking resemblance to Berini's design. The final product was an obelisk resting on the elephant's legs. But Father Paglia argued against the design, stating that it was common knowledge that “no weight should rest vertically above an empty space, as it would not be steady or long-lasting.” Father Paglia insisted that a cube be inserted under the elephant's belly. Bernini opposed any modification; by this time, he has already built the Fountain of the Rivers, which can be found in Piazza Navona and knew the statement to be false. But, Bernini wasforced to change his original design, though he tried to add a saddlecloth to disguise and decorate the cube. Bernini was never quite happy with the final product and Romans began referring to it as the “Porcino Della Minerva,” or Minerva's pig. However, with the variation in Roman dialects the elephant began to be called “Puhcino Della Minerva” or Minerva's chicken.
In the end, Bernini had his revenge: he pointed the elephant's behind towards the monastery and tail is pointing slightly to the left, in salutation. less
- 4.38ʺW × 8ʺD × 19.5ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
Charles in Miami, FL
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.