Enamel NYC Subway Plate from The Warriors Movie
This product is no longer available.
Walter Hill's iconic film The Warriors has become a cult classic in the years since 1979 release. The movie's beloved ...
more Walter Hill's iconic film The Warriors has become a cult classic in the years since 1979 release. The movie's beloved namesake gang has become the stuff of legend, and many of the movie's late night chase scenes are well-known in the cinematic zeitgeist today. But arguably even more lasting than the movie itself is the nostalgia attached to the gritty, ugly New York of its era. Today, programs like The Get Down and others remember the graffiti-soaked, dirt-covered, crime-ridden streets of 1970s and 1980s New York and the artistic events that grew alongside it. "Old New York" and all of its grit is lovably remembered, well-preserved in periods films like this one. Yet few films have found a stronger foothold in the city psyche than the Warriors and its famous scenes of Coney Island (among others), with the famous "Warriors--come out to play-y!" line ingrained in the memories of millions of viewers.
During the course of the filming, a variety of genuine New York City subway cars were used to make the film authentic. Among those were cars 8084-8085, 8114-8115, and 8434-8435, which were regular service piece of rolling stock during that era. Car 8435 carried the Warriors away from Eastern Parkway. The gritty, graffiti-covered cars formed an important backdrop to the Warriors multi-borough trek and in many ways made the film more real for New Yorkers of the era who recognized their stations and trains. Each subway car in the movie was tagged with a number board made of porcelain enamel that denoted the car's number, and these plates were generally destroyed as the cars were scrapped and (in some cases) reefed at the bottom of the ocean after their retirement. But this number board, plucked not long after filming, remains alive today, preserved uncleaned and unaltered from its removal from service (likely some time after the film was completed), with graffiti stains and steel dust making the black and white patina even more incredible.
This rare item is a testament to old New York and an irreplaceable artifact for Warriors fans, subway connoisseurs, and nostalgic New Yorkers alike. It is a hefty, solid piece of enamel on steel drilled with six mounting holes, and it is sure to mark a unique presence in any film buff or urban decorator's home.
The third photo is a screenshot from the movie, showing the Warriors boarding this exact subway car as part of their great journey to Coney Island. less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $30
- Free Local Pickup in Providence, RI
- $20 Local Delivery Curbside Delivery within 35 miles of 02912.
fromunderground in Providence, RI
Vintage goods of the New York City subway.
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the locations of both the buyer and the seller.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about three to six weeks after pickup (pickup may take up to 10 business days).
- Please note that pickups may take longer in some locations where white glove pickup and delivery are less frequent. In some cases delivery can take up to 8 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days business days after the item ships (which may take up to three business days).
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- You will receive a Pickup Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at the time of pickup.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location.
- The buyer will receive a Delivery Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at time of delivery.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers have up to 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item and email firstname.lastname@example.org to initiate a return.
- For Flat Rate Shipping returns, buyers will be responsible for packaging and shipping the return within three business days after return shipping label (pre-paid by Chairish) is received.
- There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable).
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.