Enamel NYC Subway Plate from The Warriors Movie
This product is no longer available.
Walter Hill's iconic film The Warriors has become a cult classic in the years since 1979 release. The movie's beloved ...
more Walter Hill's iconic film The Warriors has become a cult classic in the years since 1979 release. The movie's beloved namesake gang has become the stuff of legend, and many of the movie's late night chase scenes are well-known in the cinematic zeitgeist today. But arguably even more lasting than the movie itself is the nostalgia attached to the gritty, ugly New York of its era. Today, programs like The Get Down and others remember the graffiti-soaked, dirt-covered, crime-ridden streets of 1970s and 1980s New York and the artistic events that grew alongside it. "Old New York" and all of its grit is lovably remembered, well-preserved in periods films like this one. Yet few films have found a stronger foothold in the city psyche than the Warriors and its famous scenes of Coney Island (among others), with the famous "Warriors--come out to play-y!" line ingrained in the memories of millions of viewers.
During the course of the filming, a variety of genuine New York City subway cars were used to make the film authentic. Among those were cars 8084-8085, 8114-8115, and 8434-8435, which were regular service piece of rolling stock during that era. Car 8435 carried the Warriors away from Eastern Parkway. The gritty, graffiti-covered cars formed an important backdrop to the Warriors multi-borough trek and in many ways made the film more real for New Yorkers of the era who recognized their stations and trains. Each subway car in the movie was tagged with a number board made of porcelain enamel that denoted the car's number, and these plates were generally destroyed as the cars were scrapped and (in some cases) reefed at the bottom of the ocean after their retirement. But this number board, plucked not long after filming, remains alive today, preserved uncleaned and unaltered from its removal from service (likely some time after the film was completed), with graffiti stains and steel dust making the black and white patina even more incredible.
This rare item is a testament to old New York and an irreplaceable artifact for Warriors fans, subway connoisseurs, and nostalgic New Yorkers alike. It is a hefty, solid piece of enamel on steel drilled with six mounting holes, and it is sure to mark a unique presence in any film buff or urban decorator's home.
The third photo is a screenshot from the movie, showing the Warriors boarding this exact subway car as part of their great journey to Coney Island. less
- 21.75ʺW × 0.1ʺD × 10ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
fromunderground in Providence, RI
Vintage goods of the New York City subway.
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.