George Jacob Mahogany & Cane Swivel Bergere
This beautiful, antique mahogany and cane bergere swivel chair is a rare find. We created a custom loose zebra hide ...
moreThis beautiful, antique mahogany and cane bergere swivel chair is a rare find. We created a custom loose zebra hide cushion and also reupholstered the magnificent arm rests in zebra. The chair bears the stamp of the maker, G. Jacob. Circa France, 18th century.
About Georges Jacob:
"Despite his humble origins, Georges Jacob rose to become one of the most renowned menuisiers of his day. Unlike many artisans who joined their fathers or brothers in the middle-class family trade of furniture making, Jacob was from a peasant family and moved to Paris at sixteen to begin his career. He apprenticed in a joinery workshop and eventually became a master in 1765. He developed a reputation for producing inventive designs for chairs, beds, and screens carved with such motifs as twisted ribbons, guilloches, beading, and fluting. Jacob's reputation grew quickly, eventually spreading outside France; the future King George IV of England, Gustavus III of Sweden, and several German princes all ordered furniture from him.
During the French Revolution, his debts mounted as several of his French clients fled the country or were executed. Despite his aristocratic business connections, which would have provoked suspicion from the revolutionary government, Jacob's friendship with the painter Jacques-Louis David helped him to avoid imprisonment, and he became one of the main suppliers of furniture to the revolutionary government and later to Emperor Napoleon. Jacob retired in 1796, turning his business over to his two sons. When the older son died, Jacob returned to work and watched the firm become one of the most important of the period, supplying pieces to many wealthy residences and employing more than three hundred workmen." - from the J. Paul Getty Museum
WIDTH - 24.5 inches
DEPTH - 20 inches
BACK HEIGHT - 39 inches
SEAT HEIGHT - 20.5 inches
The art of one-of-a-kind furniture. We travel the world in search of beautiful designs. When we discover an inspiring piece, we collect it. Each is treated as a blank canvas. Designers select the perfect hide from their unparalleled collection of the finest South African zebra hides, Brazilian cowhides, and New Zealand sheepskins. Working with master upholsterers, the design vision is brought to life, creating what are truly works of art. less
- 24.5ʺW × 20ʺD × 39ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Forsyth in Saint Louis, MO
The Art of One of A Kind Furniture - Forsyth travels the world in search of ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Accent Chairs for Living Room
- Accent Chairs with Arms
- African Bergere Chairs
- Animal Print Accent Chairs
- Armless Accent Chairs
- Bedroom Accent Chairs
- Black and White Accent Chairs
- Blue and White Accent Chairs
- Brown Bergere Chairs
- Cow Hide Accent Chairs
- Floral Accent Chairs
- French Bergere Chairs
- High Back Accent Chairs
- Paris Accent Chairs
- Patterned Accent Chairs
- Primitive Bergere Chairs
- Reclining Accent Chairs
- Round Accent Chairs
- Safari Bergere Chairs
- Shabby Chic Bergere Chairs
- Small Accent Chairs
- Striped Accent Chairs
- Studded Accent Chairs
- Swivel Accent Chairs
- Tufted Accent Chairs
- Unique Accent Chairs
- Upholstered Accent Chairs
- Vintage Accent Chairs
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.