Decorative Vintage Children's Wood Boat with Stand
Offered for your enjoyment is a large one-of-a-kind vintage children's boat!
In my early 20's, I was working ... moreOffered for your enjoyment is a large one-of-a-kind vintage children's boat!
In my early 20's, I was working in the River Oaks area of Houston -- which was one of the wealthiest neighborhoods at that time and probably still is! Each day I would take lunch and browse the shops in the neighborhood. There was one particular antique store I'd frequent at least once or twice a week to 'window-shop' as that's all my pocketbook could afford! I surmised that the proprietor would wonder at my presence as it became a weekly ritual to stop by and view the one piece that had caught my eye...and my heart!
After a few months, he deigned to speak with me and asked me why I continued to come in when I wasn't buying anything! I told him I loved the boat; he smiled and relayed that it was from an estate sale in the neighborhood...that the gentleman had commissioned it to be made for his son who had now outgrown it. He asked if I'd like to purchase it, stated the price, and I laughed and said I was just 'in the market' to admire it. As the months went by, his austere demeanor warmed, and on my weekly visit one day, he sweetly said, "I know you love that piece. May I offer you a lay-a-way?" It took me a couple of years to pay it off, but finally it graced my apartment and continued to make life's journey with me. He stated that it was painted with gesso and that he thought the father and son had floated it on the pond. However, I purchased it as a decorative item and have never had it on water.
Now my son is grown and thus I offer it for someone else's enjoyment! To this day, and through many antique stores worldwide, I've never seen another like it. A wonderful conversation and statement piece! It is in wonderful vintage condition, though there is aged distressing from the years. The gesso is faded, but still brilliant in its primary hues of yellow, green, red and blue.
I'm not an expert in the construction of this charmer, but visually it is a hand-carved piece, made with wood, other materials and painted (as was told when purchased) with gesso. It measures 48" bow to stern, stands 35" with mast and is 11" in width.
I have it listed as 'good condition' as one leg of the stand has is broken. However, if positioned correctly, it holds the boat perfectly...and has for 30 years! It could also be repaired, but I never minded it as it doesn't show and as the boat itself is the focal point. There is a surface crack in the hull but is doesn't go through. In my novice opinion, all these blemishes add to its charm and character! Overall a show-stopper ... I hope it stops you in your tracks! less
- 11ʺW × 48ʺD × 35ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Kelly C. in Houston, TX
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Angel Figurines
- Animal Figurines
- Bird Figurines
- Cat Figurines
- Deer Figurines
- Dog Figurines
- Elephant Figurines
- Frog Figurines
- Horse Figurines
- Houston Models & Figurines
- Nautical Models & Figurines
- Owl Figurines
- Red Models & Figurines
- Rustic Models & Figurines
- Shabby Chic Models & Figurines
- Venus Figurines
- White Models & Figurines
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.