Huntington Witherill, Ice Form #3, Yosemite National Park, 1983
This Photograph titled "Ice Form #3, Yosemite National Park" is a gelatin silver print by noted American photographer Huntington Witherill, …
moreThis Photograph titled "Ice Form #3, Yosemite National Park" is a gelatin silver print by noted American photographer Huntington Witherill, born 1949. It is hand signed in pencil at the lower right corner by the artist. The image size is 10.25 x 13.5 inches, framed size is 21.15 x 23.75 inches. Custom framed in a clear wood and black frame. It is in excellent condition.
About the artist:
Born in Syracuse, NY, in 1949, Huntington Witherill moved with his family to California, in 1953, where he began taking piano lessons at the age of four. With intentions of eventually becoming a concert pianist, Witherill entered college as a music major in 1968, but soon thereafter became interested in the study of two-dimensional design. That shift in artistic pursuit eventually led to a career in fine art photography beginning in 1970.
Having studied photography in the early 1970’s with such notables as Ansel Adams, Wynn Bullock, Steve Crouch and Al Weber. Over the past 48 years, his work has been featured in more than one hundred individual and group exhibitions in museums and galleries throughout the world.
Indicative of a diverse approach to the medium, Witherill works in both black & white, and color, and his subjects include classic landscapes, studies of pop-art, botanical still-life, urban architecture, classic and exotic automobiles, cultural icons, and other assorted visual anomalies and curiosities.
Witherill’s photographs have been the subject of three award winning hardcover monographs titled: Orchestrating Icons (2000), Botanical Dances (2001), and Photo Synthesis (2010) and in 1999, he was the recipient of the “Artist of the Year” award presented by the Center for Photographic Art, Carmel, California.
His photographs are also maintained in numerous distinguished public art collections including; the United States Department of State: Art in the Embassies, Fundacióe Van Gogh d’Arles, Arles, France, the National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto, Japan, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, MA, Everson Museum of Art, Syracuse, NY, Santa Barbara Museum of Art, Santa Barbara, CA, and the Monterey Museum of Art, Monterey, CA, among others.
R. Blitzer Gallery • Santa Cruz, CA- 2018
Museum of Monterey at Stanton Center • Monterey, CA- 2014
Santa Barbara Museum of Art • Santa Barbara, CA- 2014
Museum of Fine Arts • Boston, MA- 2013
Verve Gallery of Photography • Santa Fe, NM- 2013
Museum of Fine Arts • St. Petersburg, FL- 2013
Center for Photographic Art • Carmel, CA- 2011
San Diego Museum of Natural History • San Diego, CA- 2006
Ansel Adams Gallery • Yosemite National Park, CA- 2006
Mowen Solinsky Gallery • Nevada City, CA- 2006
Ansel Adams Gallery at Highlands Inn/Park Hyatt • Carmel, CA- 2005
Hartnell College Gallery • Salinas, CA- 2004
d’Arno Gallery • Bogor, Indonesia- 2003
Mumm Napa Valley • Napa, CA- 2001
Lawrence Photographic Gallery • Portland, OR- 2000
Alexandre Hogue Gallery, Tulsa University • Tulsa, OK- 2000
Ansel Adams Gallery • Pebble Beach, CA- 1999
Photo Gallery International, Shibaura • Tokyo, Japan- 1999
Mumm Napa Valley • Napa, CA- 1999
Lallak & Tom Gallery • Chicago, IL- 1998
Fundacióe Van Gogh d’Arles • Arles, France- 1998
David W. Ball Fine Art Gallery • Greenville, SC- 1998
Alinder Gallery- Gualala, CA. Group- 1995 & 1996
Noice Gallery • Kalispell, MT- 1994
Center for Photographic Art- Carmel, CA. Solo- 1994
Anchorage Museum of Art & History • Anchorage, AK- 1993
The Los Angeles Photography Center • Los Angeles, CA- 1990
Expo ‘90 Photo Museum • Tokyo, Japan- 1990
David Adler Cultural Center • Libertyville, IL- 1990
Coconino Center for the Arts • Flagstaff, AZ- 1990
North Carolina State University • Raleigh, NC- 1989
Afterimage Gallery • Dallas, TX- 1989
Western Colorado Center for the Arts • Grand Junction, CO- 1988
The National Museum of Modern Art • Kyoto, Japan- 1987
The Monterey Bay Aquarium- Monterey, CA. Group- 1987
Photo Gallery International • Tokyo, Japan- 1987
The University of Idaho Prichard Art Gallery • Moscow, ID- 1987
Afterimage Gallery • Dallas, TX- 1986
The Fresno Arts Center • Fresno, CA- 1985
The Evanston Art Center • Evanston, IL- 1984
The Vision Gallery • San Francisco, CA- 1984
The Harrison Museum of Art • Logan, UT- 1984
The Ansel Adams Gallery • Yosemite National Park, CA- 1984
The Friends of Photography • Carmel, CA- 1984
The Photographer’s Gallery • Palo Alto, CA- 1983
Pacific Grove Art Center • Pacific Grove, CA. Group- 1982
Montalvo Center for the Arts • Saratoga, CA- 1982
The Collector’s Gallery • Pacific Grove, CA- 1982
Yokohama City Museum • Yokohama, Japan- 1981
Sioux City Art Center • Sioux City- 1981
University of South Dakota • Vermillion, SD- 1981
Gallery 72 • Omaha, Nebraska- 1981
Photography Gallery International • Tokyo, Japan- 1980-81
Gannon University Gallery • Erie, PA- 1980
Everson Museum of Art • Syracuse, NY- 1980
The Asheville Art Museum • Asheville, NC- 1980
Atelier-Clemens Fine Arts • Pasadena, CA- 1980
San Jose City College Gallery • San Jose, CA- 1979
The Collector’s Gallery • Pacific Grove, CA- 1979
The Monterey Peninsula Museum of Art • Monterey, CA- 1978
Dibert Gallery • Carmel, CA. Group- 1977
The Secrist Gallery • Carmel, CA- 1977
Columbia Gallery of Photography • Columbia, Missouri- 1976
Shado Gallery • Oregon City, Oregon- 1975
Selected Public Collections
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, MA.
Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg, FL.
Plains Art Museum- Fargo, ND
Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg, FL
The Everson Museum of Art- Syracuse, NY.
The Asheville Art Museum- Asheville, NC.
Los Angeles County Museum of Art- Los Angeles, CA.
Santa Barbara Museum of Art- Santa Barbara, CA.
Oriental Photographic Industrial Co., Ltd.- Tokyo, Japan.
Yokohama City Museum- Yokohama, Japan.
Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg, FL.
Cantor Center for Visual Arts, Stanford University, CA
Syntex Corporation- Palo Alto, CA.
Palomar College- Palomar, CA.
Photo Gallery International- Tokyo, Japan.
Digital Research Corporation- Pacific Grove, CA.
Pacific Grove Art Center- Pacific Grove, CA.
Sioux City Art Center- Sioux City, IA.
Los Angeles County Courthouse- Pasadena, CA
Yuba College- Marysville, CA.
Hewlitt Packard Corporation- Cupertino, CA.
The National Museum of Modern Art- Kyoto, Japan.
North Carolina State University- Raleigh, NC.
Expo '90 Photo Museum- Tokyo, Japan.
Oklahoma Arts Institute- Oklahoma City, OK.
Coupeville Arts Center- Coupeville, WA.
Center for Photographic Art- Carmel, CA.
United States Department of State, Embassy, Bangkok, Thailand.
Akron Art Museum, Akron, OH.
Fundacióe Van Gogh d’Arles, Arles, France.
The Grace Museum, Abilene, TX. less
Typical Shipping: 7-14 days
No questions or comments yet
Return Policy - All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
The Chairish Buyer Guarantee ensures that you have complete peace of mind when
making a purchase on Chairish in the event that your item:
- Does not arrive
- Is broken during transit
- Is materially different than what you purchased
- On approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales are final once buyer or buyer’s agent takes possession of an item.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Local rates are available on most items where the delivery location is within 50 miles.
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks.
- In-Home Delivery
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.
- International Parcel
- International parcel shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through Fedex
- You will be updated with a tracking number once shipping is booked
- International parcel shipments can take anywhere from 1 - 6 weeks to be delivered
- In-Home Expedited International Shipping
- In-Home Expedited International Shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged by Metropolitan and will be delivered to your room of choice
- In-home expedited shipments can take anywhere from 3-7 weeks to be delivered
- Expedited International Shipping
- Expedited international shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- You will need tools and/or equipment to open the crate; Fedex will not open the crate for you
- You will be updated with a tracking number once your item has been booked for air shipment
- Expedited international shipments can take anywhere from 2 - 4 weeks to be delivered
- International Shipping
- International shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through Schumacher Cargo and automatically come with in-home delivery
- You will receive a tracking number once your item has cleared customs