- Room Accents & Accessories
- Ashtrays & Catchalls
- Early Aldo Londi Rimini Blue Ashtray for Bitossi
Early Aldo Londi Rimini Blue Ashtray for Bitossi
An early example of Aldo Londi's Rimini Blue decor applied to a decorative ashtray or vide-poche. Created for Bitossi Ceramiche …
moreAn early example of Aldo Londi's Rimini Blue decor applied to a decorative ashtray or vide-poche. Created for Bitossi Ceramiche and distributed in the United States by Raymor.
ALDO LONDI (1911-2003) was one of Italy's most noted master ceramicists who spent most of his long and successful career creating exceptional works of great art and craft for the Italian ceramics manufactory Bitossi Ceramiche.
Londi’s hometown just outside of Florence, Montelupo Fiorentino, has been an important center for pottery production since the Renaissance. In 1922, at the age of eleven, Londi started working for Fratelli Fanciullacci, the region’s premier ceramics workshop at the time. Following World War II—upon returning to Italy from South Africa, where he was a prisoner of war—Londi became Bitossi’s Creative Director. He would hold this position for more than 50 years and would design over 1,000 objects—ranging from jugs and vases to clocks and animal figurines.
Londi employed his high-level technical expertise and vast experience in traditional artisanal methods to create distinctively expressive and whimsical forms, patterns, and finishes. Londi’s best-known collection is the 1950s-era Rimini Blu (1955-1965), a now-iconic midcentury modern series encompassing over 150 designs, all glazed in vibrant blue and embossed with abstract motifs and shapes. Londi created Ball Vase, his first piece in Persiano Blue, in 1955. Not long after in 1959, he began to create more pieces in this proprietary chromatic finish. The collection holds historical importance because it helped to bring handcrafted works into the modernist design conversation in Italy. Although blue was not the only color Londi utilized, it has become closely associated with his oeuvre. Londi’s last solo collection, Arkitectura (ca. 1950s), was very different from his earlier work; it features elegantly minimalistic animal figures glazed in monochromatic black, white, or platinum.
Starting in 1958, Londi began a fruitful collaboration with legendary architect-designer Ettore Sottsass (1917-2007), who considered Londi to be an important mentor. During his time at Bitossi, Londi also collaborated with Piero Fornasetti (1913-1988), Matteo Thun (b. 1952), and Karim Radhid (b. 1960).
Most of Londi’s collections, including the Rimini Blu and Akitectura, are still in production today and are widely collected by ceramics enthusiasts. Many of his original works can be seen at the MAIB–Artistic Industrial Bitossi Museum in Montelupo, which is dedicated to the history of the company.
BITOSSI CERAMICHE was established in 1921 as Manifattura Ceramica Cav. Guido Bitossi & Figli by Guido Bitossi in Montelupo Fiorentino in Tuscany—a region with an ancient tradition of ceramics a few kilometers from Florence. The Bitossi family, documented in the area as early as 1536, had for centuries worked there as sculptors, painters, but especially as potters. In the twentieth century, under Guido's leadership, they would introduce an extraordinary stylistic and formal renewal of their craft.
In the late 1940s, master ceramist Aldo Londi (1911-2003) was named BITOSSI CERAMICHE's creative director. He held the position for more than 50 years and would design over 1,000 objects for the company. Himself a Montelupo native, Londi brought to BITOSSI a deep expertise in the traditional production of ceramics. Nevertheless, he keenly appreciated the streamlined forms of the mid-century moment. He is best known for his 'Rimini Blu' collection (1955-1965), an iconic series comprised of over 150 designs—bowls, vases, jugs, and animal figurines—all glazed in a vibrant azure hue and embossed with abstract motifs and shapes. It helped to bring expressive, hand-crafted work into the modernist design conversation in Italy. Londi’s last solo collection, 'ARKitectura,' stands somewhat apart from his earlier work and features elegantly minimalistic animal figures glazed in monochromatic black, white, or platinum. Both collections are still in production today and widely collected by enthusiasts.
During Londi's tenure, BITOSSI collaborated successfully with a host of famous designers, including the legendary architect-designer Ettore Sottsass. An avatar of 1960s counter-culture, Sottsass thought design should be provocative and sensual, and his avant-garde style blended well with BITOSSI’s mid-century aesthetic. Besides Sottsass, BITOSSI partnered with designers Piero Fornasetti, Karim Rashid, Arik Levy, Fabio Novembre, Benjamin Hubert, Matteo Thun, Monica Förster, and Cédric Ragot.
Today BITOSSI CERAMICHE is justly considered an institution. The Bitossi family and its foundation have amassed an archive of over 7,000 historical documents and materials in relation to the production of ceramics. The assemblage is housed in the Bitossi Artistic Industrial Museum in Montelupo. In 2014, BITOSSI became an official member of the Registry of Italian Historical Companies, appointed by the Italian National Union of Chambers of Commerce. less
- 7.5ʺW × 5.5ʺD × 1.75ʺH
- Aldo Londi
- Place of Origin
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent Vintage Condition. May Show Slight Signs of Previous Use Excellent Vintage Condition. May Show Slight Signs of Previous Use less
Typical Shipping: 7-14 days
No questions or comments yet
Return Policy - All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
- Cigar Ashtrays
- Mid-Century Modern Ashtrays and Catchalls
- Italian Ashtrays and Catchalls
- Ashtrays with Lids
- New and Custom Ashtrays and Catchalls in Los Angeles
- Pipe Ashtrays
- Ceramic Ashtrays and Catchalls
- New and Custom Ceramic Ashtrays and Catchalls
- New and Custom Ashtrays and Catchalls
- New and Custom Ashtrays and Catchalls in New York
- New and Custom Glass Ashtrays and Catchalls
- New and Custom Gold Ashtrays and Catchalls
- New and Custom Metal Ashtrays and Catchalls
- New and Custom Porcelain Ashtrays and Catchalls
- Used Art Deco Ashtrays and Catchalls
The Chairish Buyer Guarantee ensures that you have complete peace of mind when
making a purchase on Chairish in the event that your item:
- Does not arrive
- Is broken during transit
- Is materially different than what you purchased
- All sales are final on some Made-to-Order items and limited selection of other items as noted in the Returns & Cancellations section of the product details.
- For all other items, sales are final 48 hours after delivery (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below).
- To request a return, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the order number and the reason for your return request.
- On approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales are final once buyer or buyer’s agent takes possession of an item.
- Upon inspection, if you decide not to move forward with the purchase, you or your agent must refuse the item at the time of pickup/delivery from the seller. Once you have taken possession of the item, all sales are final. Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a refund.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason, with the exception of some Made-to-Order items, where supplies have been purchased or work begun on the item.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return and you will be responsible for the cost of shipping.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Local rates are available on most items where the delivery location is within 50 miles.
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks.
- In-Home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.
- International Parcel
- International parcel shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through Fedex
- You will be updated with a tracking number once shipping is booked
- International parcel shipments can take anywhere from 1 - 6 weeks to be delivered
- In-Home Expedited International Shipping
- In-Home Expedited International Shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged by Metropolitan and will be delivered to your room of choice
- You will receive a tracking number once your item has cleared customs and been booked for in-home delivery
- In-home expedited shipments can take anywhere from 3-7 weeks to be delivered
- Expedited International Shipping
- Expedited international shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through FedEx and will be delivered in a crate to the front of your home/building
- You will need tools and/or equipment to open the crate; Fedex will not open the crate for you
- You will be updated with a tracking number once your item has been booked for air shipment
- Expedited international shipments can take anywhere from 2 - 4 weeks to be delivered
- International Shipping
- International shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through Schumacher Cargo and automatically come with in-home delivery
- You will receive a tracking number once your item has cleared customs
- International shipments take anywhere from 12-25 weeks to be delivered, depending on our partner’s shipping schedule and your location