- Room Accents & Accessories
- Decorative Objects
- 1960s Mid-Century Curtis Jere Large Metal Owl Scu…
1960s Mid-Century Curtis Jere Large Metal Owl Sculpture
Original 1967 Curtis Jere metal owl sculpture featuring a richly patinaed metal body with multi color enameled eyes. Signed "C. …
moreOriginal 1967 Curtis Jere metal owl sculpture featuring a richly patinaed metal body with multi color enameled eyes. Signed "C. Jere 67". This owl is an impressive piece that would be a great conversation piece in anyones home. The signature and date are on a small plaque on the front corner.
Curtis Jere Biography from Groovywares Website:
Curtis Jere© is a brand name for the company Artisan House. The founders of Artisan House, Jerry Fels and his brother-in-law Curtis Freiler, started Artisan House in 1964 with the intention of providing original high gallery quality Metal Art for the masses. The name “Curtis Jere was created by simply combing their two first names Curtis and Jer. We don't know why the French ampersand was added but can guess that it was to promote a high quality image as items from France at that time were considered quite upscale.
The creative half of the duo was Jerry Fels, As head designer for Artisan House in the early days he is the person that people like to think of as “Curtis Jere. Indeed, in a 2007 interview with Mr. Fels published in Modernism Magazine shortly before his death the article read in part, “Jerry Fels, California Artisan House's longtime design director and president, is the 'real' Curtis Jere, the elusive but influential metal artist. Renewed interest is being shown in Curtis Jere's handcrafted wall and table sculptures, lamps and table bases which capture the mood of California making the works among the most collectible mid-century decorative pieces presently.
Jerry Fels passed away after 90 talented productive years on November 5, 2007.
Curtis and Jerry sold Artisan House in 1972 but Jerry stayed on as head designer for several years. By 1978 another designer was creating many of the favorite c. jere designs that we so know and love - BJ Keith.
Vintage C. Jere works are highly collectible and can sell for thousands of dollars. C. Jere works range from representational to highly abstract. Some of the older techniques, such as enameling, the use of resin, and the bronzes, haven't been used in decades.
The Gumps sticker below - still attached to a 1968 Curtis Jere sculpture, in indicative of the way Jere was promoted in the 60's and 70's. It talks about Curtis Jere but is really referring to that "Talented Mr. Jere", Jerry Fels.
Many Jere art references from top designers and top design magazines can be found online. Here are a few examples:
Modern Magazine - Winter 2011 - Page 117 - Features Jere Raindrops in Chrome.
Elle Decor - November 2010 - Great article on Curtis Jere entitled "The sculptural ornaments of C. Jeré" By Mitchell Owens - Page 128 - Mitchell Owens traced the history of C. Jere, saying that the '60s and '70s pieces "are attracting the admiration of leading dealers in vintage chic.". less
- 11.5ʺW × 8.5ʺD × 16.5ʺH
- Curtis Jere
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Wear consistent with age and use. The blue area of the eyes have a single line / crack down each … moreWear consistent with age and use. The blue area of the eyes have a single line / crack down each eye. Other than that when you move it you need to push the feathers back into place because they are malleable. (not really a condition problem - just wanted to let the buyer know) less
Typical Shipping: 7-14 days
No questions or comments yet
Return Policy - All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
The Chairish Buyer Guarantee ensures that you have complete peace of mind when
making a purchase on Chairish in the event that your item:
- Does not arrive
- Is broken during transit
- Is materially different than what you purchased
- All sales are final on some Made-to-Order items and limited selection of other items as noted in the Returns & Cancellations section of the product details.
- For all other items, sales are final 48 hours after delivery (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below).
- To request a return, please email email@example.com and include the order number and the reason for your return request.
- On approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales are final once buyer or buyer’s agent takes possession of an item.
- Upon inspection, if you decide not to move forward with the purchase, you or your agent must refuse the item at the time of pickup/delivery from the seller. Once you have taken possession of the item, all sales are final. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a refund.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason, with the exception of some Made-to-Order items, where supplies have been purchased or work begun on the item.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return and you will be responsible for the cost of shipping.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Local rates are available on most items where the delivery location is within 50 miles.
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks.
- In-Home Delivery
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.
- International Parcel
- International parcel shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through Fedex
- You will be updated with a tracking number once shipping is booked
- International parcel shipments can take anywhere from 1 - 6 weeks to be delivered
- In-Home Expedited International Shipping
- In-Home Expedited International Shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged by Metropolitan and will be delivered to your room of choice
- You will receive a tracking number once your item has cleared customs and been booked for in-home delivery
- In-home expedited shipments can take anywhere from 3-7 weeks to be delivered
- Expedited International Shipping
- Expedited international shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through FedEx and will be delivered in a crate to the front of your home/building
- You will need tools and/or equipment to open the crate; Fedex will not open the crate for you
- You will be updated with a tracking number once your item has been booked for air shipment
- Expedited international shipments can take anywhere from 2 - 4 weeks to be delivered
- International Shipping
- International shipments are handled by our European based sister-site, Pamono
- Shipments are arranged through Schumacher Cargo and automatically come with in-home delivery
- You will receive a tracking number once your item has cleared customs
- International shipments take anywhere from 12-25 weeks to be delivered, depending on our partner’s shipping schedule and your location