1963 Textiles in The Shosoin - 2 Volume Set
Rare "Textiles In The Shosoin" 2 volume set published by Asahi Shimbun Publishing Co. in 1963. Here you have an ...
more Rare "Textiles In The Shosoin" 2 volume set published by Asahi Shimbun Publishing Co. in 1963. Here you have an excellent visual survey of the extraordinary and early textile collection held in the Shosoin storehouse in the Todaiji temple in Nara, Japan. A lavish and high quality four-volume production comprising two large cloth covered volumes of color plates, each plate volume accompanied by a text volume with dual texts in Japanese and English describing the textiles illustrated. Captions to the color plates are in English. Over 200 textiles and textile fragments are illustrated in fine tipped-in color plates and include extremely rare examples of early Chinese silk brocade (nishiki) dating from the 8th century. All the textiles illustrated date from between the 8th to the 11th centuries and include much Chinese material. These volumes have never been published again in such a comprehensive manner making them true collectors items. This fine work stands as the prime visual and study reference on the Shosoin textile collection. Each volume comes in original grey cloth covered slip cover boxes. $1400 appraised price based on London based "Hanshan Tang Books" which is the West's foremost bookseller specializing in the Art of East Asia, South East Asia and Central Asia.
Minor soiling on some of the edges of the protective boxes. Actual volumes are in perfect condition. Please note this set is missing the Volume 2 text index. Includes original fold-out outline brochure detailed in both Japanese and English. Also includes a "mail in" note with envelope, however these only have Japanese text so I do not know what they are. less
- 15.0ʺW × 2.0ʺD × 19.0ʺH
- Excellent Minor wear consistent with age and history
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $10
- Free Local Pickup in Costa Mesa, CA
Misc. Savant in Costa Mesa, CA
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the buyer's location.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about 3-6 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- If additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs, buyers should make sure to plan accordingly.
- Returns & Cancellations
- Except for Local Pickup and Local Delivery, buyers have 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item(s) and contact firstname.lastname@example.org if they wish to return an item. There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable). Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.