1963 Textiles in The Shosoin - 2 Volume Set
Rare "Textiles In The Shosoin" 2 volume set published by Asahi Shimbun Publishing Co. in 1963. Here you have an ...
more Rare "Textiles In The Shosoin" 2 volume set published by Asahi Shimbun Publishing Co. in 1963. Here you have an excellent visual survey of the extraordinary and early textile collection held in the Shosoin storehouse in the Todaiji temple in Nara, Japan. A lavish and high quality four-volume production comprising two large cloth covered volumes of color plates, each plate volume accompanied by a text volume with dual texts in Japanese and English describing the textiles illustrated. Captions to the color plates are in English. Over 200 textiles and textile fragments are illustrated in fine tipped-in color plates and include extremely rare examples of early Chinese silk brocade (nishiki) dating from the 8th century. All the textiles illustrated date from between the 8th to the 11th centuries and include much Chinese material. These volumes have never been published again in such a comprehensive manner making them true collectors items. This fine work stands as the prime visual and study reference on the Shosoin textile collection. Each volume comes in original grey cloth covered slip cover boxes. $1400 appraised price based on London based "Hanshan Tang Books" which is the West's foremost bookseller specializing in the Art of East Asia, South East Asia and Central Asia.
Minor soiling on some of the edges of the protective boxes. Actual volumes are in perfect condition. Please note this set is missing the Volume 2 text index. Includes original fold-out outline brochure detailed in both Japanese and English. Also includes a "mail in" note with envelope, however these only have Japanese text so I do not know what they are. less
- 15ʺW × 2ʺD × 19ʺH
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $10
- Free Local Pickup in Costa Mesa, CA
Misc. Savant in Costa Mesa, CA
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the locations of both the buyer and the seller.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about three to six weeks after pickup (pickup may take up to 10 business days).
- Please note that pickups may take longer in some locations where white glove pickup and delivery are less frequent. In some cases delivery can take up to 8 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days business days after the item ships (which may take up to three business days).
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- You will receive a Pickup Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at the time of pickup.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location.
- The buyer will receive a Delivery Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at time of delivery.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers have up to 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item and email email@example.com to initiate a return.
- For Flat Rate Shipping returns, buyers will be responsible for packaging and shipping the return within three business days after return shipping label (pre-paid by Chairish) is received.
- There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable).
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.