1940s-50s Bay Area Figurative Female Nude
From the estate of Ruth Friedmann Opper & Jerry Opper. Ruth was the daughter of Bauhaus artist, Gustav Friedmann. Done ...
moreFrom the estate of Ruth Friedmann Opper & Jerry Opper. Ruth was the daughter of Bauhaus artist, Gustav Friedmann. Done in the style of the Bay Area Figurative painters of that time and contemporaries would include, Elmer Bischoff, James Weeks, and Richard Diebenkorn. This painting is a gouache painting done on paper, c. 1940-1950's. This is a mid century female nude with her arm resting over her head. Unframed, measures 15" x 18". This piece is unsigned and came from a collection of her and her husband's work in the San Francisco Bay Area. J. Opper estate stamp on lower right.
Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history.
Opper Bio: Jerry Opper was born in Cleveland, Ohio, on September 5, 1924. He moved to Los Angeles in 1933. After graduating from Hollywood High School, he worked in movie studios and attended art classes at Chouinard Art Institute. In May 1942, Opper was drafted into the army and was then able to study at the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center while his outfit was stationed in Colorado. Later he was sent to Guam and was discharged in December 1945.
Opper returned to Chouinard and his work in movie studios until 1947, when he moved to San Francisco. He enrolled as a full-time student at the California School of Fine Arts (now SFAI) and graduated in 1950. In 1948, Opper met his wife Gertrud Ruth Friedmann, daughter of artist Gustav Friedmann whose works are well known.
Shortly after he finished school, Opper worked briefly as a decorator’s assistant and then started his career as a commercial artist, working for several firms such as Fibreboard, Beatrix Food and Precision. One of his preferred mediums was stone lithography, although at times he had to put this aside because of the hard labor associated with the weight of the stones. He eventually needed several back surgeries during his lifetime because of this.
Opper’s prints have been included in several major shows throughout the country: Oakland Art Gallery, Sacramento State Fair, San Francisco Museum of Art, International Color Lithography Exhibition at Cincinnati, Ohio, Pennell Print Show at the Library of Congress, Washington D.C., Brooklyn Museum Print Show, Los Angeles County Fair, Pomona, City of Paris Rotunda Gallery, San Francisco.
Bio from Lost Art Salon less
- 15ʺW × 1ʺD × 19ʺH
- Mid-Century Modern
- Jerry Opper
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
MGH Discovered Art in Alameda, CA
Discover: dis·cov·er dəˈskəvər/ find unexpectedly or in the course of a search. Art ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- 3D Paintings
- Action Paintings
- Beach Paintings
- Black and White Paintings
- Car Paintings
- Cat Paintings
- Cherry Blossom Paintings
- Classic Paintings
- Color Field Paintings
- Dot Paintings
- Elephant Paintings
- Face Paintings
- Famous Paintings
- Flower Paintings
- Forest Paintings
- Galaxy Paintings
- Genre Paintings
- Greek Paintings
- Horse Paintings
- House Paintings
- Landscape Paintings
- Mid-Century Modern Paintings
- Miniature Paintings
- Moon Paintings
- Nude Body Paintings
- Oil Paintings
- Portrait Paintings
- Rock Paintings
- San Francisco Paintings
- Skull Paintings
- Still Life Paintings
- Sunflower Paintings
- Sunset Paintings
- Surrealist Paintings
- Tree Paintings
- Venus Paintings
- Yellow Paintings
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.