"Light My Fire" 2019 Oil Painting & Clay Collage
Entitled Light my Fire, this 2019 oil painting and clay collage on canvas abstracted landscape artwork is from the Oil ...
moreEntitled Light my Fire, this 2019 oil painting and clay collage on canvas abstracted landscape artwork is from the Oil & Clay series by contemporary Mendocino/Bay Area artist, Gaétan Caron (b. 1964), co-founder of Lost Art Salon in San Francisco.
Gaétan developed his own technique of integrating oil paint with raw clay on stretched canvases, adding organic texture to his work. The black clay is harvested directly from the bottom of a valley on his land in the Mendocino hills. After painting a first layer with oil paint, Caron hand molds the clay applying it while still wet, using a strong archival adhesive which remains flexible. This process allows for durability as well as for the natural craquelure to organically form as the clay dries and transforms into the texture of bark and leaves in this landscape illuminated by the sun through the smoke of the fire season. "And just like bark on trees naturally breaks and chips, it is perfectly all right if with time bits of clay fall off to reveal the beauty beneath." says the artist.
Gaétan lives and works in his off-the-grid home located in an heirloom orchard in the Mendocino hills of Northern California, a stone's throw from the wild California Coast. His work documents the textures, colors, forms, as well as monochromatic shadows and reflections found in the natural world through contemporary abstract, botanical, still life, landscape, seascape paintings and Fine Art photography.
"Caron's paintings with clay are simultaneously visceral and imaginary. They transport us at once to the strange inner reaches of the mind and the reassuring, marvelous textures of the earth." Larry Rinder, Contemporary art curator and museum director (BAMPA 2008-20)
Signed, titled and dated on the back, signed lower right. Framed in a contemporary wood floater frame with a dark finish. Excellent condition. This painting & clay collage on canvas requires preferably a pick up in person due to the nature of the work. If you are in the Bay Area, please organize the pick up with us or inquire about potential delivery and installation, by the artist, for a flat fee of $150. For white glove shipping, please contact us for pricing information (to California ships for $500; anywhere else in the US ships for $1,350). less
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
No questions or comments yet
Return Policy - All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
- Oil Paintings
- Nude Paintings
- Horse Paintings
- Landscape Paintings
- Portrait Paintings
- Abstract Paintings
- Black and White Paintings
- Miniature Paintings
- Venice Oil Paintings
- Fruit Oil Paintings
- Dog Paintings
- Flower Paintings
- Contemporary Paintings
- Cat Paintings
- Paintings in San Francisco
- Greek Paintings
- Sunflower Paintings
- Still Life Paintings
- Watercolor Paintings
- Forest Paintings
- Cherry Blossom Paintings
- Beach Paintings
- Surrealist Paintings
- Sunset Paintings
- Airbrush Paintings
- Blue Paintings
- 3D Paintings
- Famous Paintings
- Classic Paintings
- Gaetan Caron Paintings
The Chairish Buyer Guarantee ensures that you have complete peace of mind when
making a purchase on Chairish in the event that your item:
- Does not arrive
- Is broken during transit
- Is materially different than what you purchased
- All sales are final on Made-to-Order items, some jewelry and limited selection of other items as noted in the returns and cancellations section of the product description.
- For all other items, sales are final 48 hours after delivery (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below).
- To request a return, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the order number and the reason for your return request.
- On approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales are final once buyer or buyer’s agent takes possession of an item.
- Upon inspection, if you decide not to move forward with the purchase, you or your agent must refuse the item at the time of pickup/delivery from the seller. Once you have taken possession of the item, all sales are final. Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a refund.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason, with the exception of Made-to-Order items, where supplies have been purchased or work begun on the item.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return and you will be responsible for the cost of shipping.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Local rates are available on most items where the delivery location is within 50 miles.
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type,, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks.
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.