Photoplay Magazine, Norman Shearer, 1925
This product is no longer available.
Hollywood Glam, pre-Talkies, in this May 1925 issue of 'Photoplay' - The National Guide to Motion Pictures. Norma Shearer is the ...
moreHollywood Glam, pre-Talkies, in this May 1925 issue of 'Photoplay' - The National Guide to Motion Pictures. Norma Shearer is the gorgeous cover girl for this 140-page survey of movie stars, movies, fashion and gossip.
This issue has something more than photos inside - a serial story about the Hollywood studio system, "That Terrible Thorne Girl," by Frederic Arnold Kummer. According to the cover, "the greatest studio story ever written." There may be some argument about that - but not about the fabulous blue-tone glamour head shots of silent movie stars and starlets and the awesome 1925 fashion illustrations for "Dress Like a Star on An Extra's Income."
This estate-found magazine is good+ condition internally, but appears to be missing its back cover (an advertisement, most likely). The former owner carefully taped the magazine together, as shown, but if this is displayed, the missing back cover won't be noticeable. There's some mild cover wear to the front. There's also a cool newsstand stamp on the fashion illustration page, This magazine was sold in Ohio! Please take a look at the photos to judge condition.
But there's more than enough to love about this scarce copy - including an article on the mysterious artist, Erte, who, at the time, was Director of the Costume Department at MGM. This article discloses his real name (he was royalty!)., which I'd never known. Also, interesting - an advertisement featuring Mrs. Reginald Vanderbilt (the first "Gloria" now described in the book and documentary by journalist Anderson Cooper.).
When all is said and done, this is a charming look back at silent movies, ("The Phantom of the Opera" and more). This is a great piece of ephemera for Hollywood and film collectors and for those who love vintage magazines. (This cover of Norman Shearer was drawn by Tempest Inman. At least two years before Norma married MGM studio boss, Irving Thalberg, and went on to major stardom. And the rest is history.). less
- 8.25ʺW × 0.5ʺD × 11.5ʺH
- Early American
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
The Sophisticated Reader in Los Angeles, CA
Vintage literature, art & design books, fashion magazines, decorative accessories & One-of-a-Kinds for the Sophisticated Reader.
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.