Photoplay Magazine, Norman Shearer, 1925
This product is no longer available.
Hollywood Glam, pre-Talkies, in this May 1925 issue of 'Photoplay' - The National Guide to Motion Pictures. Norma Shearer is the ...
more Hollywood Glam, pre-Talkies, in this May 1925 issue of 'Photoplay' - The National Guide to Motion Pictures. Norma Shearer is the gorgeous cover girl for this 140-page survey of movie stars, movies, fashion and gossip.
This issue has something more than photos inside - a serial story about the Hollywood studio system, "That Terrible Thorne Girl," by Frederic Arnold Kummer. According to the cover, "the greatest studio story ever written." There may be some argument about that - but not about the fabulous blue-tone glamour head shots of silent movie stars and starlets and the awesome 1925 fashion illustrations for "Dress Like a Star on An Extra's Income."
This estate-found magazine is good+ condition internally, but appears to be missing its back cover (an advertisement, most likely). The former owner carefully taped the magazine together, as shown, but if this is displayed, the missing back cover won't be noticeable. There's some mild cover wear to the front. There's also a cool newsstand stamp on the fashion illustration page, This magazine was sold in Ohio! Please take a look at the photos to judge condition.
But there's more than enough to love about this scarce copy - including an article on the mysterious artist, Erte, who, at the time, was Director of the Costume Department at MGM. This article discloses his real name (he was royalty!)., which I'd never known. Also, interesting - an advertisement featuring Mrs. Reginald Vanderbilt (the first "Gloria" now described in the book and documentary by journalist Anderson Cooper.).
When all is said and done, this is a charming look back at silent movies, ("The Phantom of the Opera" and more). This is a great piece of ephemera for Hollywood and film collectors and for those who love vintage magazines. (This cover of Norman Shearer was drawn by Tempest Inman. At least two years before Norma married MGM studio boss, Irving Thalberg, and went on to major stardom. And the rest is history.). less
- 8.25ʺW × 0.5ʺD × 11.5ʺH
- Early American
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $6
The Sophisticated Reader in Los Angeles, CA
Vintage literature, art & design books, fashion magazines, decorative accessories & One-of-a-Kinds for the Sophisticated Reader.
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- Local Delivery
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.