Frank Tenney Johnson -1920s View of the Salton Sea in the California Desert-Oil Painting
Frank Tenney Johnson -1920s View of the Salton Sea in the California Desert-Oil painting
impressionist oil painting on canvas board ... moreFrank Tenney Johnson -1920s View of the Salton Sea in the California Desert-Oil painting
impressionist oil painting on canvas board -Signed
frame size 15 x 18
canvas board size 9.50" x 11.50"
(1874 - 1939)
Frank Tenney Johnson was active/lived in California, Iowa. He is known for western genre, landscape, and nocturne painting.
Born near Big Grove, Iowa, Frank Tenney Johnson, became one of the most famous early 20th-century painters of Western genre.
He was raised on a farm on the old Overland Trail where he observed western migration of people on horseback, in stage coaches, and in covered wagons. At age of 10, he moved with his family to Milwaukee, and he apprenticed there to panorama painter F.W. Heine (1845-1921), whose specialty was painting horses. From that time, Johnson was ever studying the horse and became noted for his ability to portray it accurately. Then he studied with Richard Lorenz, a member of the Society of Western Painters, and he gave Johnson valuable techniques as well as great enthusiasm for the West.Inheriting a small amount of money allowed Johnson in 1895 to go to New York to study at the Art Students League for five months. Then he returned to Milwaukee and worked as a free-lance illustrator until he and his wife could afford to return to New York, and this time he studied with John Twachtman, Robert Henri, and William Merritt Chase.In 1904, he went to the Rocky Mountains and Southwest for Field and Stream magazine, and this was a life-changing trip in that he set his style and subject matter for the remainder of his life. He especially learned to love the skies during the day and at night, and one of his trademarks became his night scenes. To achieve a certain luminosity, he carefully studied the skies in Maxfield Parish's paintings. He was so successful in his Field and Stream assignment that he continued to make many trips West including a 1912 visit to Arizona where he, on a cross-country train trip, stayed several days at Winslow.During the 1920s, he settled in Alhambra, California and shared a studio with Clyde Forsythe, and his easel paintings began to outsell his illustrations. He did a series of murals in a famous Los Angeles movie house called the Cathy Circle Theater. His painting technique to achieve textural effect was to work quickly, using brushes, palette knife, and his fingers.In the 1930s, deciding to spend his summers away from Alhambra, Johnson built a cabin and studio on the north fork of the Shoshone River in Wyoming, just outside the east gate of Yellowstone Park. For seven years, from 1931 to 1938, he spent much time hiking in the park and painting scenes of its unique landscapes.It has been written that he was a man who "represented the best in the Old West." He was six feet two inches, handsome, virile and admired. For one of his exhibits at the Grand Central Art Galleries at the Biltmore Hotel in New York City, Amon Carter bought the entire exhibition. Shortly afterwards, Johnson went to a dance in Los Angeles, kissed a pretty girl and died the next morning (January 1, 1939) from meningitis.
A beautiful piece that will add to your décor! less
- 18ʺW × 4ʺD × 15ʺH
- Art Subjects
- Place of Origin
- North America
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
No questions or comments yet
Return Policy - All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
- Oil Paintings
- Nude Paintings
- Horse Paintings
- Landscape Paintings
- Portrait Paintings
- Miniature Paintings
- Black and White Paintings
- Venice Oil Paintings
- Dog Paintings
- Cat Paintings
- Fruit Oil Paintings
- Flower Paintings
- Greek Paintings
- Paintings in Los Angeles
- Sunflower Paintings
- Watercolor Paintings
- Still Life Paintings
- Surrealist Paintings
- Cherry Blossom Paintings
- Forest Paintings
- Sunset Paintings
- Rustic Paintings
- Beach Paintings
- Airbrush Paintings
- Blue Paintings
- Classic Paintings
- 3D Paintings
- Famous Paintings
The Chairish Buyer Guarantee ensures that you have complete peace of mind when
making a purchase on Chairish in the event that your item:
- Does not arrive
- Is broken during transit
- Is materially different than what you purchased
- All sales are final on Made-to-Order items, some jewelry and limited selection of other items as noted in the returns and cancellations section of the product description.
- For all other items, sales are final 48 hours after delivery (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below).
- To request a return, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the order number and the reason for your return request.
- On approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales are final once buyer or buyer’s agent takes possession of an item.
- Upon inspection, if you decide not to move forward with the purchase, you or your agent must refuse the item at the time of pickup/delivery from the seller. Once you have taken possession of the item, all sales are final. Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a refund.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason, with the exception of Made-to-Order items, where supplies have been purchased or work begun on the item.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return and you will be responsible for the cost of shipping.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Local rates are available on most items where the delivery location is within 50 miles.
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type,, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks.
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.