Sign for Shop Created by Martha Matilda Harper
This product is no longer available.
Rare two-sided sign for a shop created by Martha Matilda Harper. Framed in wood with worn black paint. The signage ...
moreRare two-sided sign for a shop created by Martha Matilda Harper. Framed in wood with worn black paint. The signage is paint on metal with white lettering against black and traces of blue coming through. There's a fascinating back story surrounding this sign and its origins. Martha Matilda Harper is considered the Pioneer of franchising for her system that took hair dressing out of homes and into salons. Bound into servitude from the time she was seven, she immigrated from Canada to Rochester, NY., where in 1888, she opened her first salon for healthy hair and skin care for woman. Her most enduring publicity tool and inspiration was her luxurious mane of floor-length chestnut hair.
Harper's "Method" was a health-conscious salon experience embraced by the social elite, counting among its devoted clientele socialites, theatrical celebrities, presidents, and first ladies. Using scientific techniques and applications, salon operators sought to bring out the inner beauty of customers by promoting healthy skin and hair and by reducing the stress of everyday living; neck, shoulder, and head massages were part of the package. Her franchise network grew to 500 around the world, each shop empowering and enriching poor women like herself. While campaigning for suffrage, Susan B. Anthony often cited Harper as a model example of women's empowerment through financial independence.
Harper applied her creativity and sensitivity to every aspect of the Harper Method, including the design of the first reclining shampoo chair and washing sinks with a cut-out for the neck. She prohibited hair dyes and other products that she considered unhealthy in her shops and manufactured only organic products. Interesting to note that the word “franchise” comes from the French meaning “to free from servitude.”. less
- 36ʺW × 3ʺD × 24ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
Unearthed LLC in Madison, WI
Showcasing an eclectic mix of classic mid-century modern furniture, found objects and gritty-chic industrial decor ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.