La Cuisine Est Un Jeu D'enfants, Michel Oliver
This is the rare, vintage, spiral-bound French children's cookbook - 'La Cuisine Est Un Jeu d'enfants.' Written in French, by ...
more This is the rare, vintage, spiral-bound French children's cookbook - 'La Cuisine Est Un Jeu d'enfants.' Written in French, by Michel Oliver, who also illustrated with colorful child-like drawings, the preface was written by Jean Cocteau. The book was published in 1969 (a second printing, by Librairie Plon, Paris).
First published in 1963 , in a limited edition of 8906, this printing was limited to 8549 copies. The appealing, 104-page, oversized book is spiral-bound, with glossy covers. So story-book! Michel Oliver, the son of the famous French Chef Raymond Oliver dedicated the book to his father.
The simple French recipes, meant for child cooks, also are appropriate for adults. Recipes include soups, hors-d'oeuvres, meat and poultry, sauces, vegetables, eggs, fish, and desserts. Even a cook who doesn't speak French will have little problem cooking Soupe a l'oignon, Croque-Monsieur or Quiche Lorraine. Armed with a cell-phone or computer translation, even Beignets de Crabe or Roulade de Veau are possible!
This scarce book is in very good condition for its age - considering it was published in the 1960s and it's a Cookbook! It's remarkably stain-free! Most of the pages are sunned on the margins, but that doesn't mar the recipes or the drawings. The covers show a bit of age with some wear along the edges, and light finger print smudges. The book is unmarked, save for English translations written in pencil by an adult on the Onion Soup recipe (easily erased, if you wish).
I've seen new printings of this book listed for more than $800. Sacre bleu! I think this vintage, 1960s version is more precious than those printings in the '80s that followed.This book is of the time and the place - namely the bold and colorful 1960s cuisine de Paris! less
- 10.25ʺW × 0.55ʺD × 12.5ʺH
- Good Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left
- Jean Cocteau
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $9
The Sophisticated Reader in Los Angeles, CA
Vintage literature, art & design books, fashion magazines, decorative accessories & One-of-a-Kinds for the Sophisticated Reader.
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- Local Delivery
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.