Alvino Bagni 'Sea Garden' Ashtray
An Alvino Bagni ashtray decorated with iron rings and the famous Sea Garden glaze.
ALVINO BAGNI was born in 1919 ... moreAn Alvino Bagni ashtray decorated with iron rings and the famous Sea Garden glaze.
ALVINO BAGNI was born in 1919 in Lastra a Signa in the environs of Florence. His boyhood and adolescence were spent without his father; as a communist, he had been exiled under Italian fascism. The young Bagni learned the basics of drawing and clay modeling under the tutelage of artist/sculptor Torello Santini. Bagni's interest in ceramics—a locally important industry—grew, and he found work at Arnaldo Pugi’s furnace in Ponte a Signa. Following WWII, Pugi helped him finance the opening of his own studio, BAGNI CERAMICHE, where several family members including wife Gina were employed. Gina would work along side Bagni throughout his career. 3,500 elephant-head plates bearing the slogan “I like Ike” were manufactured for export during Eisenhower's 1952 US presidential campaign—an early and prophetic commission: the large majority of Bagni’s work would be for the US market.
In the 1950s and '60s Bagni established fundamental collaborations with Bitossi Ceramiche in nearby Montelupo Fiorentino and with the import companies Rosenthal Netter and Raymor, the latter being a dominant American firm. These relationships allowed Bagni to open a larger, better-equipped factory where he was able to surround himself with highly skilled artists—Enzo Borgini, M. Mannori, Remo Buti, and Michelangelo Santonocito among them. Bagni produced a stunning variety of designs for Raymor, including some highly individualistic studio work. He was always experimenting with glazes and produced some truly radical combinations and colors schemes. A case in point is the 'Sea Garden' décor, an unusual mix of turquoise, blue, green, yellow, brown, and black. Bagni often incorporated metal rings or other pieces with his ceramic designs.
By 1980 BAGNI CERAMICHE had almost 100 employees and was internationally renowned for high-quality, artistic production and the use of innovative techniques. However, as the world increasingly opened up to global competition, the company found itself in financial straits. Tied as it was to an “artisanal” approach, it struggled to withstand the downward pressure on prices. Despite Bagni's noble efforts to save his factory and employees, BAGNI CERAMICHE closed for good in 1990.
Bagni returned to pottery with Nuove Forme, a venture founded with son-in-law Gianfranco Ghiretti in 1993. A natural evolution of his older company, Nuove Forme continued to research and experiment with colors and processes. It found its niche producing limited runs of virtually unique objects for the most discerning of buyers. Nuove Forme owns many of Bagni's historical designs and curates an enormous Bagni showroom—something of a museum of his work. Bagni retired for health reasons in 2001. He died in 2009 at age 90. less
- 7.75ʺW × 6.25ʺD × 2ʺH
- Alvino Bagni
- Place of Origin
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- May show slight signs of previous use. May show slight signs of previous use. less
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
No questions or comments yet
Return Policy - All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
The Chairish Buyer Guarantee ensures that you have complete peace of mind when
making a purchase on Chairish in the event that your item:
- Does not arrive
- Is broken during transit
- Is materially different than what you purchased
- All sales are final on Made-to-Order items, some jewelry and limited selection of other items as noted in the returns and cancellations section of the product description.
- For all other items, sales are final 48 hours after delivery (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below).
- To request a return, please email email@example.com and include the order number and the reason for your return request.
- On approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales are final once buyer or buyer’s agent takes possession of an item.
- Upon inspection, if you decide not to move forward with the purchase, you or your agent must refuse the item at the time of pickup/delivery from the seller. Once you have taken possession of the item, all sales are final. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a refund.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason, with the exception of Made-to-Order items, where supplies have been purchased or work begun on the item.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return and you will be responsible for the cost of shipping.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Local rates are available on most items where the delivery location is within 50 miles.
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type,, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks.
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.