Early 20th Century Medici Print of Putti Under a Vine
Presenting a glorious early 20c Medici print of putti under a vine.
From the very earlt 20th Century, circa 1911. ... morePresenting a glorious early 20c Medici print of putti under a vine.
From the very earlt 20th Century, circa 1911.
Framed and sold by Foster Bros. of Park Square, Boston. The sole agents for the Medici Society in the US.
Has the original label on the rear (see photos) which states:
“Putio under a Vine, by B. Suarde (Bramantine). from the Original fresco in the Brira Palace, Milan, (19 3/4 x 25 1/2 inches).
(Medici Print, Plate XXIX).
Published by the Medici Society, Ltd. ”
It also has the Foster Bros gilt plate on the rear of the frame marked:
” Pat. Sept. 12, 1911. John R. Foster. ”
This was an expensive print in 1911, costing the equivalent of over $500 in today’s dollars. It has also appreciated in value since !
Established by Stephen Bartlett Foster (1856-1932) and John Roy Foster (1863-1931), Foster Brothers opened in 1893 at 164 Boylston Street, Boston. Makers of picture frames, mirrors, etc. Also sold prints and reproductions.
The Medici Society Ltd was founded in 1908 by Philip Lee Warner and Eustace Gurney. The company’s original aim was to bring artists’ work to the appreciation of a wider public through technically cutting edge high-end colour reproductions, with subjects chosen for their artistic value, beauty or sentiment sold “for the lowest price commercially possible”.
The name Medici was chosen as a homage to the great Florentine family who did so much to encourage art in the Italian Renaissance. The profile of Lorenzo de’ Medici (1449 – 1492), known as Lorenzo the Magnificent, was incorporated into the trade mark.
Initially, the business was run as a society, and members were invited to join and pay a subscription which entitled them to copies of prints as they were published at no extra charge. This structure was later revised and the prints were sold commercially through shops and galleries, but the company retains the Medici Society name to this day. As a result of this comparatively unusual name, many people think that it might be a charitable organisation, but this is not the case. Medici started to publish greeting cards in the 1930s, and some of the artists whose work was published in those days are still in print today.
In 2008 the company sold its greeting card division to the The Great British Card Company, who now publish greeting cards using the name ‘Medici’ under licence as Medici Cards. However, The Medici Society Ltd continues to publish its Fine Art Reproduction Prints, and to licence out permissions to reproduce our extensive archive of imagery through Mary Evans Picture Library. It also continues to retail cards and prints at Medici Gallery South Kensington and to sell original Fine Art at Medici Gallery in Mayfair. less
- 18.75ʺW × 0.75ʺD × 15ʺH
- Art Subjects
- Early 20th Century
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- The Print itself, is in good condition for it’s age. Minor fading from age (as one would expect). The frame ... moreThe Print itself, is in good condition for it’s age. Minor fading from age (as one would expect). The frame has lost some of the gilt over the decades but is the Original frame. The paper to the rear is tattered but label etc intact. Under glass. less
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
No questions or comments yet
Return Policy - All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
The Chairish Buyer Guarantee ensures that you have complete peace of mind when
making a purchase on Chairish in the event that your item:
- Does not arrive
- Is broken during transit
- Is materially different than what you purchased
- All sales are final on Made-to-Order items, some jewelry and limited selection of other items as noted in the returns and cancellations section of the product description.
- For all other items, sales are final 48 hours after delivery (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below).
- To request a return, please email email@example.com and include the order number and the reason for your return request.
- On approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales are final once buyer or buyer’s agent takes possession of an item.
- Upon inspection, if you decide not to move forward with the purchase, you or your agent must refuse the item at the time of pickup/delivery from the seller. Once you have taken possession of the item, all sales are final. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a refund.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason, with the exception of Made-to-Order items, where supplies have been purchased or work begun on the item.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return and you will be responsible for the cost of shipping.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Local rates are available on most items where the delivery location is within 50 miles.
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type,, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks.
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.