"Phlox" Still Life by Charles Meurer
Size: 18 x 22 Framed: 23.5 x 27.5
Fine oil on canvas showing a Cincinnati Art Museum exhibition ... more Size: 18 x 22 Framed: 23.5 x 27.5
Fine oil on canvas showing a Cincinnati Art Museum exhibition label and $300 price tag from the 1940's (approx.)
Titled : "Phlox"
Shows old Closson label
Condition: Very good untouched estate piece. Housed in a white painted, period frame.
Charles Meurer (1865-1955) was born in Germany of American parents. Meurer was raised in Clarksville, Tennessee. In his youth as a beginning artist, he was commissioned by Adolph Ochs, editor of the Chattanooga Times newspaper to paint a still life incorporating the front page of the paper with a figure surrounded by books and other objects of editorial wisdom. Meurer succeeded and used this theme in many subsequent paintings. Meurer studied art with Frank Duveneck in Cincinnati and then went to Paris and Lyon for further study in France. He eventually settled in Terrace Park, Ohio, a suburb of Cincinnati, and maintained a studio there for many years. He continued to paint after both of his legs were amputated, asserting that he still had his brushes and his spirit. In 1886, according to his telling, he was converted to trompe l'oeil painting when he saw the work of Michael Harnett at the Cincinnati Industrial Exposition of 1886. less
- 27.5ʺW × 2.0ʺD × 23.5ʺH
- Excellent Minor wear consistent with age and history
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $45
- Free Local Pickup in Cincinnati, OH
max in Cincinnati, OH
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the buyer's location.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about 3-6 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- If additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs, buyers should make sure to plan accordingly.
- Returns & Cancellations
- Except for Local Pickup and Local Delivery, buyers have 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item(s) and contact email@example.com if they wish to return an item. There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable). Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.