Jose Ramon Lerma 1977 "Pink Abstract"Painting
This product is no longer available.
Jose Ramón Lerma, "Pink Abstract," 1977, acrylic on illustration board. Visible painting dimensions: 13.25 x 10.25 inches ...
more Jose Ramón Lerma, "Pink Abstract," 1977, acrylic on illustration board. Visible painting dimensions: 13.25 x 10.25 inches. With frame: 15 x 12 inches.
The seller says: We love the painting's strong colors and contrasts, and expressive imagery. We also love this San Francisco artist for his long and fascinating career. He is well worth discovering! Lerma had the work framed himself. Please note: The date 1997 written on the reverse is wrong. The artist signed and dated the work "77" at lower right by scratching into the wet paint.
The seller adds: "Lerma was born in 1930 into a modest family of Mexican-American farmers in the area of Hollister, south of San Francisco. His artistic talents were recognized early on, and he earned a scholarship to the California School of Fine Arts (now, San Francisco Art Institute). When Lerma began his career in the 1950s, he was an Abstract Expressionist, showing at many of the small artist-run galleries in the Fillmore area of San Francisco, such as the famous Six Gallery. He and some friends even ran their own space for a time, the "Russian Hill Gallery." Lerma was at the center of the Beat era arts scene in San Francisco.
In the 1960s, just as the Beat era galleries were closing, a new art community arose in the Mission District. These Missions artists were often of Mexican or Latino heritage, and their art was often social and political commentary (it was the flowering of the Chicano arts movement). Lerma was a mentor to these younger artists. In time, Lerma returned also to figurative work in painting, drawing, collage, and other media.
Lerma has lived a long life dedicated to making art, always able to earn a living through his craft. Like many San Francisco artists of his generation, however, he never pushed hard for commercial success, preferring to show his work in more modest settings. So, he has remained a little bit 'under the radar,' even though he is beginning to get attention from museums are art historians." less
- 12.0ʺW × 1.0ʺD × 15.0ʺH
- Excellent Minor wear consistent with age and history
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $10
- Free Local Pickup in Berkeley, CA
SF Bay Area Modern in Berkeley, CA
Quality artworks by notable Modern and Midcentury artists at reasonable prices. Many items are from ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the buyer's location.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about 3-6 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- If additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs, buyers should make sure to plan accordingly.
- Returns & Cancellations
- Except for Local Pickup and Local Delivery, buyers have 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item(s) and contact email@example.com if they wish to return an item. There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable). Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.