Susan B. Hale Kemenyffy "Portrait of Janel : Mirror Away" Signed Vintage Linocut Unframed
Unframed Limited Edition Linocut. Hand signed by the artist. Paper Size: 42" x 42", Image Size: 35-1/2" x 36-1/2". Edition ...
moreUnframed Limited Edition Linocut. Hand signed by the artist. Paper Size: 42" x 42", Image Size: 35-1/2" x 36-1/2". Edition Number: 16/50. Circa late 1980s. Comes with gallery CoA. Make an offer!
Susan Hale Kemenyffy (born 1941) is an American artist who works primarily in drawing and print media. She is known for the innovative raku art she created in collaboration with her husband Steven Kemenyffy.
Born in Springfield, Massachusetts, Kemenyffy received a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from Syracus University in 1963; her teacher was Robert Marks. She studied at The Art Students’ League, Woodstock, NY and at the University of Illinois, Champaign. In 1966 she received a Master of Arts degree from the University of Iowa; The following year she studied with Mauricio Lasansky and earned a Master of Fine Arts degree with honors. She received a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts in 1973; among her awards are the Associated Artists of Pittsburgh award from Carnegie Mellon University Museum (1981, 1983, and 1987) and the Annual Ceramic and Small Sculpture Show award from the Butler Institute of American Art (1982). Kemenyffy has lectured widely. The Canton Museum of Art, the Cincinnati Art Museum, the Erie Art Museum, and the Everson Museum are among the institutions holding examples of her work, as is the Renwick Gallery of the Smithsonian Institution. In 2012 she was named Pennsylvania’s Artist of the Year. She is married to the ceramist Steven Kemenyffy, with whom she lives in McKean, Pennsylvania. Her daughter, Maya was born in 1970.
She is actively involved in her community, having served as President of Erie Art Museum 1985-88, Pennsylvania Council on the Arts Chair, 1997- 01, Advisory Council Erie Community Foundation Chair 2006-08, Erie Community Foundation Trustee 2008 -2017, and a long-time member of Garden Club of America / Carrie T. Watson Garden Club. She has also donated designs and works of art for public spaces in Maine and Pennsylvania.
Although she is primarily a graphic artist, Ms. Kemenyffy made important contributions to American ceramics in the late 1960s and early 1970s, particularly in regard to experimental raku techniques. She explained in an interview, "He was doing a lot of ceramics and he hated doing the surfaces...so he said why don't you keep drawing on some of these pieces and this is how we started." Steven Kemenyffy stated that their interest in raku came out of practical considerations: “We [Steven and Susan] were doing a variety of workshops in a variety of different media. Raku was always an official way of making pieces in a short period of time…In raku it seems to compress all the firings into one.”
For much of Kemenyffy's career, she has worked in tandem with her husband Steven Kemenyffy. In 1987 Susan stated about their collaborative works: “Steven is the [sculptor], I am the drawer. These works would not exist if it weren’t for the sculpture; if it weren’t for the clay. The clay entity comes first and my drawings come second.” James Paul Thompson further clarifies this relationship (as observed in 1987): “Steven Kemenyffy uses patterns as a point of departure for his work, while Susan Kemenyffy allows the people and things around her to become partial inspiration in addition to what Steven gives her. less
- 42ʺW × 0.02ʺD × 42ʺH
- Art Subjects
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
No questions or comments yet
Return Policy - All sales are final 48 hours after delivery, unless otherwise specified.
The Chairish Buyer Guarantee ensures that you have complete peace of mind when
making a purchase on Chairish in the event that your item:
- Does not arrive
- Is broken during transit
- Is materially different than what you purchased
- All sales are final on Made-to-Order items, some jewelry and limited selection of other items as noted in the returns and cancellations section of the product description.
- For all other items, sales are final 48 hours after delivery (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below).
- To request a return, please email email@example.com and include the order number and the reason for your return request.
- On approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales are final once buyer or buyer’s agent takes possession of an item.
- Upon inspection, if you decide not to move forward with the purchase, you or your agent must refuse the item at the time of pickup/delivery from the seller. Once you have taken possession of the item, all sales are final. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a refund.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason, with the exception of Made-to-Order items, where supplies have been purchased or work begun on the item.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return and you will be responsible for the cost of shipping.
Note: Made-to-Order items typically include a lead time or custom delivery window, which is detailed in the product description.
For shipping on all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping may be offered on select listings.
- Smaller items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date, while larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- When an item with Free Shipping is returned, the cost of return shipping fees will be charged to the buyer.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item at the time of pickup and avoid shipping costs.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment is arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box or envelope may be shipped via parcel.
- Shipping charges start at $9 — and vary based on the size, weight, packaging and the value of the item.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home and placed in the room of your choice (installation and hookup are not included).
- Local rates are available on most items where the delivery location is within 50 miles.
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type,, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks.
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Deliveries may take up to 6 weeks, and up to 8 weeks when either the buyer or seller are located outside of standard shipping routes.
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, size, location of the buyer and seller, and value of the item.
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping is offered and managed by the seller, through a shipper of the seller’s choice.
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion.
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery is offered and managed by the seller, within a limited geography.
- Following purchase, a confirmation email is sent to the confirmation email address associated with the order, and includes: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery.