Conrad Buff Vintage "Sierra Mountains" Painting
This product is no longer available.
Conrad Buff "Sierra Mountains" original vintage California oil painting. Signed by Conrad Buff on the right end corner. Oil painting ...
more Conrad Buff "Sierra Mountains" original vintage California oil painting. Signed by Conrad Buff on the right end corner. Oil painting on board size 16" x 27". High grade gilt wood frame size 22" x 33".
Conrad Buff (1886-1975)
Conrad Buff was born in Speicher, Switzerland, the son of an alpine farmer. Conrad Buff, by the age of forty, had an established reputation as an artist painting primarily realistic paintings that expressed his love of the American Southwest.
Conrad Buff was apprenticed at age 14 to an uncle, a baker, and confectioner, and baking became a hobby with him for the rest of his life. He also learned the trade of lace designing and making, which ultimately influenced his pointellist painting style, and which was then a major trade in Switzerland. Conrad Buff felt constrained with having to copy patterns, and in the early 1900s went to Munich, where he lived the heady life of a young man. However, money ran out, and at age 19, Conrad Buff came to America and took the first train West. He was briefly on a Wisconsin ranch, working as a sheep herder and then for ten years roamed the West doing odd jobs such as cooking in cafes, bartending, and driving mules on a railroad construction gang. He relieved the monotony by painting in his spare time. He also explored lithography and silk screen painting and drew directly on stone or zinc plates. With his wife, Mary Marsh, he wrote and illustrated two books: Dancing Cloud and Kobi.
In 1906, he moved to Los Angeles, and from 1907, painted in Arizona. Maynard Dixon was a frequent sketching companion. Conard Buff did a number of large scale murals for banks, schools, and libraries, and with well-known California artist, Edgar Payne, painted a 1000-foot mural for a Chicago hotel. Conrad Buff died in Laguna Hills, California on March 11, 1975.
Source: Edan Hughes less
- 33.0ʺW × 4.0ʺD × 22.0ʺH
- Excellent Minor wear consistent with age and history
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $99
- Free Local Pickup in Pasadena, CA
Pasadena Art Monkeys in Pasadena, CA
Welcome to Pasadena Art Monkeys ! ....our gallery is located at the Pasadena Antiques & Design, in ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the buyer's location.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about 3-6 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location. The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in additional charges.
- If additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs, buyers should make sure to plan accordingly.
- Returns & Cancellations
- Except for Local Pickup and Local Delivery, buyers have 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item(s) and contact firstname.lastname@example.org if they wish to return an item. There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable). Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.