Antique 20-Drawer Letterpress Cabinet & Wood Type
This product is no longer available.
This Antique Letterpress Type Cabinet comes complete with all twenty (20) original letterpress type drawers plus (217) pieces of wood ...
more This Antique Letterpress Type Cabinet comes complete with all twenty (20) original letterpress type drawers plus (217) pieces of wood letterpress type. Built by One of the Founding Pioneers of Wood Type Manufacturing, Heber Wells. Very Good Vintage Condition
(217) Pcs of Wood Type / Letterpress Letters Included (1" - 3 1/4" Tall)
Slanted and Divided Cabinet Top Makes Arranging or Sorting Tasks a Breeze
Perfect for Craft Storage, Craft Organization or Small Parts Storage
At least one of (a-z) & (A-Z) except "k and K" with many multiples
At least one of (0-9) with many multiples
Most symbols (eg. $&?!".,') with multiples
All pieces are wood, comprise many styles and fonts, and range in size from 1" up to 3 1/4" in height.
Cabinet and drawers are in very good vintage condition and easily slide in and out of the cabinet without sticking or jamming
This rare piece of printing history was built by Heber Wells of New York as evidenced by the imprint on the top edge of the front of each drawer (pic #4). Heber Wells was the son of Darius Wells—the first manufacturer of wood type and himself, was a pioneer in the early days of wood type manufacturing and printing.
He was born in 1835 in New York City and after serving in the Civil War returned to New York to open a wood type manufactory in 1864. This business closed in early 1899 with Heber filing for bankruptcy. This means the cabinet is between 116 - 151 years old. Thats really old!
With its significant age and such close proximity to the actual origination of the entire industry of wood print type its an understatement to call this cabinet EXTREMELY RARE. The historical significance of such a piece cannot be overstated and is truly an amazing find.
Cabinet: 51.0" x 26.25" x 20.25" (129.5cm x 66.7cm x 51.4cm)
Drawer: 21.25" x 18.13" x 1.25" (54.0cm x 46.0cm x 3.2cm)
151.5lb ( 68.8kg )
- 26.25ʺW × 20.25ʺD × 51.0ʺH
- Good Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left
- Early American
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- White Glove Shipping available in continental U.S.
- Free Local Pickup in Morgantown, PA
- Ask the seller if Local Delivery is available
Aaron P. in Morgantown, PA
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 2Ask the Seller / View All
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the locations of both the buyer and the seller.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about three to six weeks after pickup (pickup may take up to 10 business days).
- Please note that pickups may take longer in some locations where white glove pickup and delivery are less frequent. In some cases delivery can take up to 8 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days business days after the item ships (which may take up to three business days).
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- You will receive a Pickup Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at the time of pickup.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location.
- The buyer will receive a Delivery Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at time of delivery.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers have up to 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item and email firstname.lastname@example.org to initiate a return.
- For Flat Rate Shipping returns, buyers will be responsible for packaging and shipping the return within three business days after return shipping label (pre-paid by Chairish) is received.
- There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable).
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.