Antique 20-Drawer Letterpress Cabinet & Wood Type
This product is no longer available.
This Antique Letterpress Type Cabinet comes complete with all twenty (20) original letterpress type drawers plus (217) pieces of wood ...
more This Antique Letterpress Type Cabinet comes complete with all twenty (20) original letterpress type drawers plus (217) pieces of wood letterpress type. Built by One of the Founding Pioneers of Wood Type Manufacturing, Heber Wells. Very Good Vintage Condition
(217) Pcs of Wood Type / Letterpress Letters Included (1" - 3 1/4" Tall)
Slanted and Divided Cabinet Top Makes Arranging or Sorting Tasks a Breeze
Perfect for Craft Storage, Craft Organization or Small Parts Storage
At least one of (a-z) & (A-Z) except "k and K" with many multiples
At least one of (0-9) with many multiples
Most symbols (eg. $&?!".,') with multiples
All pieces are wood, comprise many styles and fonts, and range in size from 1" up to 3 1/4" in height.
Cabinet and drawers are in very good vintage condition and easily slide in and out of the cabinet without sticking or jamming
This rare piece of printing history was built by Heber Wells of New York as evidenced by the imprint on the top edge of the front of each drawer (pic #4). Heber Wells was the son of Darius Wells—the first manufacturer of wood type and himself, was a pioneer in the early days of wood type manufacturing and printing.
He was born in 1835 in New York City and after serving in the Civil War returned to New York to open a wood type manufactory in 1864. This business closed in early 1899 with Heber filing for bankruptcy. This means the cabinet is between 116 - 151 years old. Thats really old!
With its significant age and such close proximity to the actual origination of the entire industry of wood print type its an understatement to call this cabinet EXTREMELY RARE. The historical significance of such a piece cannot be overstated and is truly an amazing find.
Cabinet: 51.0" x 26.25" x 20.25" (129.5cm x 66.7cm x 51.4cm)
Drawer: 21.25" x 18.13" x 1.25" (54.0cm x 46.0cm x 3.2cm)
151.5lb ( 68.8kg )
- 26.25ʺW × 20.25ʺD × 51ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
- Early American
Aaron P. in Morgantown, PA
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 2Ask the Seller / View All
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.