Vintage 12 Foot Handwoven Kuba Cloth-African Art-120" X 21"-Wall Hanging/Rug/Fashion
This handwoven Kuba cloth was created in the Democratic Republic of The Congo (formerly Zaire) and dates to the last ...
moreThis handwoven Kuba cloth was created in the Democratic Republic of The Congo (formerly Zaire) and dates to the last quarter of the 20th century. Large weavings such as this are used as wall hangings (either as a whole or separated into segments and framed) or fashioned into clothing, pillows, coverlets or upholstery. Dimensions: 120" x 21". Very good condition.
Kuba textiles are unique in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, formerly Zaire, for their elaboration and complexity of design and surface decoration. Using the leaf of the raffia tree, the Kuba people of the Congo first hand cut, and then weave the strips of leaf to make pieces of fabric, often called raffia cloth. The process of making kuba cloth is extremely time consuming and may take several days to form a simple placemat size piece. The men first gather the leaves of the raffia tree and then dye it using mud, indigo or substances from the camwood tree. They then rub the raffia fibers in their hands to soften it and make it easier for weaving. After they've completed the base cloth the woman embroider it. They do this by pulling a few threads of the raffia fibers, inserting them into a needle running the needle through the cloth until the fibers show up on the opposite end. They then take a knife and cut off the top of the fibers, leaving only a little bit showing. Doing this hundreds of times forms a design. The designs are seldom planned out ahead of time, and most of the embroidery is done by memory.
The kuba people, who developed this and many other fabrics were very resistant to using European cloth; and for many years seldom used machine made fabrics. When researching this and other cloths that the Kuba people developed, it is not hard to understand why they resisted the change so much. Each fabric, each pattern, and each design in traditional Kuba fabrics has great meaning. On the basis of what a person wore; you could interpret much about them. Social status age, marital status, and a person's character were just a few of the things a piece of cloth symbolized to these people. Own a piece of this fabric today; not only will you be sharing in the culture of these ingenious people, but you will experience the true art of the Kuba people as well. less
- 1′9″ × 10′ and 1.0″ thick
- Late 20th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Very good Very good less
- Place of Origin
- Congo, Democratic Republic of the (Kinshasa)
- Natural Fiber
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Max in cincinnati, OH
We have each been in the art & antique business for over 35 yrs. As "collectors" we approach our business with a passion. It is truly a pleasure to introduce people to the world of art and antiques and to assist seasoned collectors in their search for meaningful acquisitions. Since we are getting older we are gradually selling items from our personal collections, many of which were acquired over 40 years ago. We will also be listing some less expensive antique and vintage prints and photographs for beginning collectors (most are unframed because framing is personal; it also reduces shipping costs). We feature ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Karastan Rugs
- Zebra Rugs
- Kilim Rugs
- Braided Rugs
- Wool Rugs
- Shag Rugs
- Sheepskin Rugs
- Round Rugs
- Jute Rugs
- Cow Hide Rugs
- Oval Rugs
- Flat Weave Rugs
- Berber Rugs
- Silk Rugs
- Jaipur Rugs
- Tibetan Rugs
- Aztec Rugs
- Wool Runner Rugs
- African Rugs
- Flat Woven Rugs
- Striped Runner Rugs
- Hand Woven Rugs
- Natural Fiber Rugs
- Artisan Rugs
- Berber Area Rugs
- Outdoor Rugs
- Striped Rugs
- Tapestry Rugs
- Black and White Rugs
- Extra Large Rugs
- Rag Rugs
- Round Area Rugs
- Large Rugs
- Patchwork Rugs
- Black and White Area Rugs
- Floral Rugs
- Orange Rugs
- Geometric Area Rugs
- Luxury Rugs
- Primitive Rugs
- Herringbone Rugs
- Tribal Rugs
- White Rugs
- Denim Rugs
- Diamond Rugs
- Geometric Rugs
- Plush Rugs
- Round Floral Rugs
- Small Rugs
- Soft Area Rugs
- Antique White Rugs
- Black Rugs
- Fiber Rugs
- Medallion Rugs
- Natural Fiber Rugs
- Peach Rugs
- Rugs in Cincinnati
- Rya Rugs
- Textile Rugs
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.