- Room Accents & Accessories
- Vessels & Vases
- Bottles & Jars & Jugs
- 1968 Berndt Friberg Gustavsberg Hare's Fur Glaz...
1968 Berndt Friberg Gustavsberg Hare's Fur Glaze Vase
This product is no longer available.
Offered is a 1968 vase by Friberg, Sweden's master potter. It is 5.75 inches tall and appoximately 3.5 ...
moreOffered is a 1968 vase by Friberg, Sweden's master potter. It is 5.75 inches tall and appoximately 3.5 inches wide. Incised on the base 'Friberg' , Gustavsberg Studio hand hallmark and 'J' (1968 date letter). With an exquisite blue and rust colored hare's fur glaze.
Berndt Friberg (Swedish, 1899 - 1981) is one of Sweden's most distinguished ceramic artists, and is recognized in particular for the depth of his specialized glazes and the precise execution of his immaculate hand thrown forms.
Friberg was born in Höganäs to a family of potters and had been producing ceramic work from the age of 13. In 1944, Friberg was apprenticed as a thrower to Wilhelm Kåge and Stig Lindberg at Gustavsberg Potteries, two of the most prolific and renowned ceramists in Sweden. Friberg was also active at Gustavsberg Studio, which was established as an experimental workshop under Kåge in 1942. G- Studio served as an incubator for fascinating advances in ceramic artistry, and permitted individual artists like Friberg to perfect and improve upon traditional techniques. It was there that Friberg developed his signature forms and glazes. Along with Kåge and Lindberg, Friberg created the golden age of Guvstavsbergs Porcelain Factory’s G-Studio.
Each one of Friberg's ceramic vessels was personally hand thrown and therefore unique. Friberg produced superlative forms, owed to his meticulous attention to detail, and he was known to destroy any work that did not meet his exacting standards. Friberg's ceramics are also distinctive for their exquisite glazes, which he developed with Chinese and Japanese traditions in mind. These glazes are characterized by a "hare's fur" effect that manifests as delicate striations where the glaze is applied; this lends an apparent depth to each of his vessels. Because the hare's fur effect was created by meticulous spraying and layering of the glazes, Friberg usually worked on a small scale. This vase is 'large' for his oeuvre.
His works were collected by King Carl Gustaf of Sweden, Yves Saint Laurent and Robert Mapplethorpe, and his works are featured in a multitude of prestigious public collections.
Museum of Modern Art, New York
Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto
Museum of Applied Art, Copenhagen
National Museum of Denmark, Copenhagen
1948, 1951, 1954 Gold Prize, Triennale di Milano
1960 Gregor Paulsson Trophy
1965 First Prize at the Faenza International Ceramic Art Competition less
- 3.5ʺW × 3.5ʺD × 5.75ʺH
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Perfect condition with no chips, cracks or crazing. There is a burst glaze bubble in the base as shown in ... morePerfect condition with no chips, cracks or crazing. There is a burst glaze bubble in the base as shown in one of the photographs. This occurred when the vase was fired. less
- Berndt Friberg
- Berndt Friberg
TwoSixyOne Arts in New York, NY
Based in Tribeca, New York City, for the last thirty years, TwoSixtyOne Arts specializes in ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Apothecary Jars
- Cookie Jars
- Candy Jars
- Ceramic Bottles and Jars and Jugs
- Mid-Century Modern Bottles and Jars and Jugs
- Ball Jars
- Turquoise Bottles and Jars and Jugs
- Spice Jars
- Canning Jars
- Coffee Jars
- Decorative Jars
- Mason Jars
- Storage Jars
- Bottles and Jars and Jugs in New York
- Pottery Bottles and Jars and Jugs
- Swedish Bottles and Jars and Jugs
- Teal Bottles and Jars and Jugs
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.