1923 Birger Sandzen "Pond With Poplars" Original Signed Framed Lithograph
1923 Original Signed Framed Lithograph "Pond With Poplars" by Swedish-American Kansas Artist, Birger Sandzén (1871-1954). Presented in a custom frame ...
more1923 Original Signed Framed Lithograph "Pond With Poplars" by Swedish-American Kansas Artist, Birger Sandzén (1871-1954). Presented in a custom frame with all archival materials, outer dimensions measure 17 ½ x 14 ½ x ¾ inches. Image size is 10 ¾ x 7 ¾ inches.
Birger Sandzén was encouraged from an early age to pursue his interest in art. Sandzén’s formal education began at the Skara School in Skara, Sweden at the age of ten. At Skara, he studied with Olaf Erlandsson who introduced the young artist to oil painting.
After graduating from Skara in 1890, Sandzén studied for a semester at Lund University in Lund, Sweden. The following year, he went to Stockholm intending to study at the Royal Academy. Due to a lack of vacancy, Sandzén instead studied with one of Sweden's best painters and etchers, Anders Zorn, as well as with Richard Bergh, and Per Hasselberg in what was later to become the Artists League. Early in 1894, Sandzén took a class taught by Aman-Jean, who introduced him to Pointillism. Sandzen used a Pointillist, or Tonalist, approach to painting in his work until around 1910.
Sandzén learned about an opening on the faculty of Bethany College in Lindsborg, Kansas and immediately applied. He was hired by the college and relocated to Kansas in the fall of 1894. In 1899 he was appointed principal art teacher and head of the Art Department. Sandzén held both positions until his retirement in 1946.
Sandzén first visited the Rocky Mountains of Colorado in 1908 and began painting in the Colorado Springs area around 1916. The artist made his first trip to New Mexico in 1918 and was a frequent visitor to Santa Fe and Taos in the years that followed. Sandzén spent the summers of 1923-24 teaching at the Broadmoor Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado (presently the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center). He also taught at Chappell House (the forerunner to the Denver Art Museum), Utah State Agricultural College, Stephens College, the University of Michigan, and the Kansas City Art Institute. Though he traveled often, Sandzén continued to live in Lindsborg until his death in 1954. ©David Cook Galleries, LLC less
- 14.5ʺW × 0.75ʺD × 17.5ʺH
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Unknown, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Overall very good condition with no tears or staining, there is a Pin hole sized spot of foxing found in ... moreOverall very good condition with no tears or staining, there is a Pin hole sized spot of foxing found in lower left quadrant as evidenced in photographs. Not examined outside the frame. less
- Place of Origin
- North America
- Art Subject
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
D Cook Galleries in Denver, CO
David Cook Galleries has been in operation in Denver since 1979 and we have been ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Botanical Prints
- Japanese Woodblock Prints
- Woodblock Prints
- Landscape Prints
- Black and White Prints
- Framed Prints
- Bird Prints
- Fish Prints
- Sun Prints
- Angel Prints
- Large Prints
- Matte Prints
- Mounted Prints
- Screen Prints
- Large Photo Prints
- Antique White Original Prints
- Black Original Prints
- Ecru Original Prints
- Expressionism Original Prints
- Impressionism Original Prints
- Lithograph Original Prints
- Modern Original Prints
- Original Prints in Denver
- Printmaking Materials Original Prints
- Tan Original Prints
- White Original Prints
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.