19th Century French Breton Carved Chestnut Figural Plant Stand
A charming 19th century French plant stand hand-carved in solid chestnut of a Breton man in traditional dress and hat ...
moreA charming 19th century French plant stand hand-carved in solid chestnut of a Breton man in traditional dress and hat pouring himself another pitcher of wine. In classic Breton style, it will add a Country French touch to any space.
Antique furniture from the Breton region tells a story through its symbolic carvings of people or families in their daily lives. Many of the scenes are of French country life, with rustic images of family farms and farmers reaping wheat in the fields beneath a windmill, or praying in thanks over their abundant harvest. Other typical scenes include jovial villagers celebrating with a glass of wine, playing music and dancing. The carved detail accurately represents the people, their dress, and their customs, which adds to the charm of the pastoral scenes.
The rise in popularity of Brittany-style furniture can be attributed to a collection of Breton songs, known as The Ballads of Brittany, published in 1839 by Theodore Hersart de la Villemarque. It created new interest in the history of the Celtic tradition in Brittany and sparked a great demand throughout France for locally-produced, hand-made Brittany-style furniture. Many Bretons still dress in traditional 18th and 19th century clothing, some all the time, while others choose to do so only on holidays.
Height 40 inches
Width 14 inches
Depth 14 inches
Widt 10 inches
Depth 10 inches. less
- 14ʺW × 14ʺD × 40ʺH
- Late 19th Century
- French Country
- Place of Origin
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent. Wear consistent with age and use Excellent. Wear consistent with age and use less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Lolo French Antiques et More in Birmingham, AL
Lolo French Antiques et More offers one of the South’s most impressive and diverse ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.