- Casegoods & Storage
- Dressers & Chests of Drawers
- 1925 Neoclassical Painted Demi-Lune Commode | J...
1925 Neoclassical Painted Demi-Lune Commode | Johnson Furniture | Grand Rapids
The Johnson Furniture Company of Grand Rapids, Michigan was founded in 1887 by three brothers from Sweden, Carl, Hjalmar, and ...
moreThe Johnson Furniture Company of Grand Rapids, Michigan was founded in 1887 by three brothers from Sweden, Carl, Hjalmar, and Axel. Carl Johnson was an experienced cabinetmaker who received a medal for his skills from the King of Sweden.
Tom Handley, of Waring and Gillow, London, became the Johnson Furniture Company's in-house designer in 1908. He held that position, along with his officer position of Johnson-Handley-Johnson Furniture, until his death in 1926. Handley's furniture designs focused on high quality, period revival, residential pieces incorporating marquetry work; wood carving by Bohemian-born Joseph Heyda; and hand painted decoration created by Austrian-born Frank Davidhazy, Sr.
Johnson Furniture Company moved on to manufacturing modern skyscraper influenced art deco designs by 1928.
This commode, along with the accompanying pieces from suite 7810, may be seen in the plate from about 1925. The text from the plate reads:
"It is the usual thing for a suite of this type to be custom built for a discriminating client according to especially prepared specifications. In which case it is only possible to build only one group at a time, thus making for exclusiveness through the medium of expense in design, construction, etc.
Due to the facts presented above, a suite such as this one has heretofore not been available The superb decorations are faithful adaptations of the work of those famous 18th century genius' Angelica Kaufman and Pergolesi. Besides the handsome proportions and color of the suite, there are many little refinements that are not at once apparent to the eyes, such as the pierced gallery on the dressing table.
The general effect of this set when properly arranged in a room is one of great elegance and at the same time restrained dignity.
In selecting this suite choice may be had between walnut, satinwood, or enamel in any color."
The commode offered here is constructed from walnut wood with hand painted decoration. For storage purposes it has two pie-shaped cabinets, one on either side, and three drawers. The top drawer holds an accessory tray.
The Neoclassical hand painted detail includes an urn, floral swags, ribbon bows, Rococo scrolls, leaves and flowers in golds, pinks, and greens. The figures are adaptations of cupid imagery as painted n the 18th century by Angelica Kaufman. Angelica is known for her Neoclassical decorative wall paintings she created for residences designed by Robert Adam. less
- 50ʺW × 23ʺD × 36ʺH
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- This item is 94 years of age. It does show some imperfections from use and some paint wear. This piece ... moreThis item is 94 years of age. It does show some imperfections from use and some paint wear. This piece has been cleaned; however, due to the painted finish, it has never been refinished not restored. Overall the piece is clean, sturdy, and ready for its next century of use. less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
India Street Antiques / Danish Modern San Diego in San Diego, CA
India Street Antiques has been importing European vintage and antiques to San Diego since 1991 ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.