Original Watercolor Drawing by Christian Berard
A lovely 1937 orginal watercolor by Christian Bérard, a French fashion illustrator for Coco Chanel, Elsa Schiaparelli, and Nina Ricci ...
moreA lovely 1937 orginal watercolor by Christian Bérard, a French fashion illustrator for Coco Chanel, Elsa Schiaparelli, and Nina Ricci. This orginal watercolor looks to be done for Chanel. Paper has slight beige colored discoloration from the mat otherwise it is in perfect condition for its age. Frame is 20 x 1 x 16.75 and the watercolor is 17.25 x 14.
Christian Berard was born in Paris, France in 1902. As a child, he was fascinated by the theatre and ballet and compiled albums of costume and scenery designs. He attended the Academie Ranson from 1920 to 1923. He first exhibited at the Galerie Druet in 1924.
By the end of the 1920's, he was an influence on and an inspiration to several fashion designers, notably Christian Dior and Elsa Schiaparelli. All throughout the 30's, Berard was illustrating the witty colourful designs of Elsa Schiaparelli.
Though painting was his first love, he concentrated during the 1930's on fabric and interior design, as well as book and fashion illustration. His work appeared in Harpers Bazaar was instantly recognizable by his free, elliptical style, indicating elegant shape and form without severe delineation.
In 1935 he appeared at Vogue. He was one of the great Bohemian characters of Paris. Still only in his early 30's, he was already the darling of salon, theatre and café alike, a central figure of the artistic demi-monde. Of all Vogue's artists he is the one most widely celebrated in the journals and documentation of Vogue itself.
They called him "Bebe". He was indeed an extraordinary figure: fat, unpredictable, unpunctual, depressive, addicted to opium, but lively, witty, and a charmer.
He was an adventurous colourist. His use of light/dark combinations, though initially considered avant-garde, later became acceptable and even fashionable.
- 20ʺW × 1ʺD × 16.75ʺH
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Paper has slight age discoloration from the mat that surrounds the image Paper has slight age discoloration from the mat that surrounds the image less
- Place of Origin
- Western Europe
- Art Subject
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 7-14 days.
Oakland R. in Oakland, CA
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Art Deco Paintings
- Horse Paintings
- Oil Paintings
- Portrait Paintings
- Nude Paintings
- Miniature Paintings
- Paintings in San Francisco
- Landscape Paintings
- Sunflower Paintings
- Flower Paintings
- Cat Paintings
- Surrealist Paintings
- Still Life Paintings
- Black and White Paintings
- 3D Paintings
- Sunset Paintings
- Black Paintings
- Greek Paintings
- Beach Paintings
- Gray Paintings
- Dot Paintings
- Cherry Blossom Paintings
- Famous Paintings
- Forest Paintings
- Action Paintings
- Car Paintings
- Color Field Paintings
- Moon Paintings
- Purple Paintings
- House Paintings
- Tree Paintings
- Art Nouveau Paintings
- Classic Paintings
- Face Paintings
- Genre Paintings
- Illustration Paintings
- Venus Paintings
- Watercolor Paintings
- Airbrush Paintings
- Dog Paintings
- Fruit Oil Paintings
- Galaxy Paintings
- Lavender Paintings
- Light Gray Paintings
- Paper Paintings
- Rock Paintings
- Still Life Oil Paintings
- Venice Oil Paintings
- Watercolor Paintings
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.