John Constable & David Lucas Mezzotint Collection From the Tate Gallery in London 1990's - Set of 16
This product is no longer available.
*This portfolio is unframed. The framed piece is from my portfolio and is provided for illustrative purposes. The collection is ...
more*This portfolio is unframed. The framed piece is from my portfolio and is provided for illustrative purposes. The collection is in a linen portfolio and includes a 43 page booklet about the collection. There is an additional image plus 5 variations of one image as outlined below.
In 1829 Constable began a remarkable collaboration with David Lucas a young engraver he employed to make a series of mezzotints of his paintings and oil sketches. 22 prints were issued between 1830 and 1832 under the title various subjects of “Landscape Characteristic of English Scenery”, a collection generally known today as “English landscape”. A supplementary series was begun but not published in the painters lifetime.
Constables letters in marked proofs show how closely he guided Lucas's hand in creating the effects he wanted, though he admitted how much she owed to the engraver skill: he and Lucas “enjoyed a unison a feeling in art” said Constable, and “a mutual regard for the talents of each”. Through Lucas Constables wasable to reinterpret his original images and give fuller expression to the ideas that underlay all his later work. The Lucas Constable mezzotints were little appreciated at the time. They are recognized today as among the great achievements of 19th-century British printmaking and as a major element of constables artistic output.
During the course of its 1991 Constable exhibition, which included a large group of the prints, the Tate Gallery was approached by the owner of 10 of Lucas's original steel plates. Until then it was not known that any had survived. Having now acquired the templates and secured the loan of 11th, the gallery proposed to print a small number of sets of mezzotints together with an account of their history and reprinting. Because these matters us are rarely understood today, variant printings of one of the subjects will be included to demonstrate the effect of the final image differences of inking, wiping, paper and so on.
The new addition was printed by Anthony Dyson at Black Star pressed Teddington on 100% cotton rag acid-free Velin Blanc Lanagravure paper made in Docelles, Vosges. The sheet size is 13 x 15. I was in a portfolio, each set contains the 11 subjects together with a further five varied impressions of a Cottage in a Cornfield: one to show the effects of selective wiping, rich retroussage, three the results of using different strengths of colors of ink, and one the effect of using a different paper. The accompanying text is by Leslie Paris deputy keeper of the British collection of the Take Gallery and co-organizer of the 1991 Constable exhibition and Anthony Dyson the expert on the 19th century engraving trade.
The addition was limited to 100 sets.
- 11ʺW × 0.1ʺD × 13ʺH
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Mint Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- This collection has been shrink wrapped and in storage since 1994. It is in perfect condition. This collection has been shrink wrapped and in storage since 1994. It is in perfect condition. less
- Place of Origin
- United Kingdom
- Art Subject
Tom Chiginsky in Jamestown , RI
I have been a print collector/dealer and an art book collector since 1986. I ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Botanical Prints
- Japanese Woodblock Prints
- Woodblock Prints
- Landscape Prints
- Black and White Prints
- Framed Prints
- Bird Prints
- Fish Prints
- Sun Prints
- Angel Prints
- Large Prints
- Matte Prints
- Mounted Prints
- Screen Prints
- Large Photo Prints
- Rustic Original Prints
- Black Original Prints
- Cottage Original Prints
- Cotton Original Prints
- Engraving Original Prints
- Illustration Original Prints
- Metal Original Prints
- Mezzotint Original Prints
- Original Prints in Providence
- Paint Original Prints
- Paper Original Prints
- Printmaking Materials Original Prints
- Sculpture Materials Original Prints
- Textile Original Prints
- Traditional Original Prints
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.