Signed & Numbered Derrick Greaves Screenprint '68
"Buttonhole" screenprint by Derrick Greaves, major British artist, signed and numbered 125 of 125 on J.B. Green paper. A ...
more "Buttonhole" screenprint by Derrick Greaves, major British artist, signed and numbered 125 of 125 on J.B. Green paper. A couple of minor issues; some chips to the plain black frame, and a small half-moon-shaped tear at the very bottom of the piece (under glass). Otherwise in excellent condition.
About the artist
British painter and graphic artist, born in Sheffield. After an apprenticeship with a sign-writer, he studied at the *Royal College of Art, 1948–52. While living and working in Italy from 1952 to 1953 he was strongly influenced by the Italian *Social Realist Renato *Guttuso. In the 1950s he was a leading figure of the *Kitchen Sink School, depicting dour subjects including views of his home town (Sheffield, 1953, City Art Gallery, Sheffield). The member of the group he was closest to was Edward *Middleditch, in collaboration with whom he painted a mural, The Four Seasons (1957), for Nuffield College, Oxford. He was the most openly political of the group, visiting Russia in 1957 with John *Berger's ‘Looking at People’ exhibition, and was an early supporter of the Campaign for Nuclear disarmament. However, he became disillusioned with figurative painting because of its failure to reach a large audience.
In 1959 he wrote ‘I made attempts to form a pictorial language from nature which would be easily accessible to all who cared to look. To do this in England at the present time…is, I have realised, aesthetic suicide.’ His realist paintings had used heavy impasto. Now his paint became thinner, recalling his early training as a sign-painter. His subsequent more abstract work tends to emphasize colour rather than texture and reflects his admiration for the late collages of *Matisse and Ellsworth *Kelly. He has taught at several art schools and from 1983 to 1991 was head of printmaking at Norwich College of Art. Further Reading J. Hyman, The Struggle for Realism (2002).
"Greaves, Derrick" A Dictionary of Modern and Contemporary Art by Ian Chilvers and John Glaves-Smith. Oxford University Press Inc. Oxford Reference Online. Oxford University Press. less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- Flat Rate Shipping - $79
- Free Local Pickup in Chicago, IL
- Free Local Delivery Curbside Delivery within 25 miles of 60612.
Take 2 Vintage in Chicago, IL
We at Take 2 Vintage love it all...home decor, textiles, ceramics, glass; industrial, rustic ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 2Ask the Seller / View All
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the locations of both the buyer and the seller.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about three to six weeks after pickup (pickup may take up to 10 business days).
- Please note that pickups may take longer in some locations where white glove pickup and delivery are less frequent. In some cases delivery can take up to 8 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days business days after the item ships (which may take up to three business days).
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- You will receive a Pickup Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at the time of pickup.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location.
- The buyer will receive a Delivery Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at time of delivery.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers have up to 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item and email email@example.com to initiate a return.
- For Flat Rate Shipping returns, buyers will be responsible for packaging and shipping the return within three business days after return shipping label (pre-paid by Chairish) is received.
- There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable).
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.