1820 Genuine Grand Tour Intaglios, Set of 2
Pair archival framed genuine antique Grand Tour Italian intaglios. These circa 1820, intaglio cameos include Hercules, Maecenas, Tibullus and other ...
morePair archival framed genuine antique Grand Tour Italian intaglios. These circa 1820, intaglio cameos include Hercules, Maecenas, Tibullus and other Roman historical figures. They were removed from the original wood stacking tray in Rome. They are all gilt paper wrapped and numbered. The frame has a silver/gold color - it works very well with both colors.
The Grand Tour offered a education and the opportunity to acquire things otherwise unavailable, lending an air of accomplishment and prestige to the young aristocratic traveler. Wealthy Grand Tour travelers would return with crates full of books, works of art, scientific instruments, and curiosities from snuff boxes and paperweights, to altars, fountains, and statuary. All would be displayed in libraries, cabinets, gardens, drawing rooms, and galleries built for that purpose. The trappings of the Grand Tour, especially portraits of the traveler painted in continental settings, became the obligatory emblems of worldliness, gravitas and influence.
For those less moneyed, easily transportable keepsake Grand Tour intaglios were collected. The plaster intaglios hand carved with reliefs depicted various famous sites, Roman and Greek mythological deities as well as important Roman historical figures. Upon arriving home, the traveler would have dozens of Italian intaglios that he would mount in books or display in trays along with the notes of his adventures as a memory of the Grand Tour. less
- 15.25ʺW × 1.25ʺD × 21.25ʺH
- Early 19th Century
- Place of Origin
- Very Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Condition is excellent. Condition is excellent. less
- Art Subject
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Faded Rose Antiques in Richmond, TX
Deborah Jensen brings a love for interior design to Faded Rose Antiques LLC. “We buy ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.