1958 Still Life Lithograph by Paul Klee
A striking vintage tipped-in lithograph after Still Life (1940) by Paul Klee, from the artist's portfolio published in London in ...
moreA striking vintage tipped-in lithograph after Still Life (1940) by Paul Klee, from the artist's portfolio published in London in 1958. Limited Edition. Signed in the print. The plate is attached to a heavy wove paper. Printed on one side. Information about original artwork is printed under the plate. Copy on the back of the insert related to another piece in the portfolio. Rich vivid colors, excellent condition, never used. England, 1958.
10.45"W x 14.10"H overall
7"W x 8.5"H image only
Klee's last work, which he didn't not sign or caption. A curious requiem which he composed for himself, just as Mozart did. Apparently it represents a domestic scene, with a table on which a green (mint) coffee-pot and pale violet sculpture are placed. Flowers are scattered over the orange cloth; they look like letters of an alphabet. At the upper left there is a red (coral) tabletop with vases, one of which has an arm-like appendage and red (salmon) flowers. The background is of the deepest black (ebony), with a moon as yellow as the yolk of an egg.
All of a sudden the picture seems sinister. The intimacy of a still life seems to have changed. The black is the night, and the moon does not illuminate it. The flowers on the table are transformed into artificial flowers like those thrown into graves. But there is a clue to the riddle - a white card at the lower left, near the frame. On the card we see a winged figure held back by hands clenched into fists - probably an image of Jacob wrestling with angel. Jacob was one of the elect; thus Klee's last work offers us a parable of hope fr life beyond death. less
- 10.45ʺW × 0.1ʺD × 14.1ʺH
- Paul Klee
- Place of Origin
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - minor age wear, never used Excellent - minor age wear, never used less
- Art Subject
- Still Life
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Print Shop in Dallas, TX
Antiques and art dealer, interior designer, collector and buyer, photographer, web and graphic designer, translator ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.