Mid-Century Abstract Painting
Mixed media painting by listed artist Phillip Callahan (American, 1918-1991).
This gouache, watercolor, and graphite painting depicts an abstracted figure ... moreMixed media painting by listed artist Phillip Callahan (American, 1918-1991).
This gouache, watercolor, and graphite painting depicts an abstracted figure rendered in bright yellow, golden, tan and blue, lounging on a chair. Graphite is visible under the painting and signature is stamped to the lower left corner. The drawing is housed in a black painted wooden frame with white matting.
This piece is ready to hang presented with hardware and wire to the verso.
Dimensions: 17.25" W x 14.5" H x 0.75" D
- measures frame; visible image measures 10.25" W 7.75" H.
About the artist:
Phillip Callahan was born in Worcester, Massachusetts in 1918. By the age of eighteen his work had been exhibited in several galleries throughout New York. Callahan received his formal artistic training at the Worcester Institute of Fine Art in 1937 as well as the Advanced School of the Boston Museum of Fine Art. He studied at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris before World War II broke out. Callahan enlisted in the United States Army in February of 1941. After the war he returned to the United States and began studying at the Art Students League of New York. It was during this time that Callahan studied under Czech-American modernist painter, Vaclav Vytlacil (1892-1984). Callahan’s earlier works, remained ultimately realistic with slight abstraction. However, after studying in New York and Europe his work started to become abstraction. By the 1950s and 1960s his work became completely non-objective.
- 17.5ʺW × 1ʺD × 14.5ʺH
- Place of Origin
- North America
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Very Good- minor wear to frame. Very Good- minor wear to frame. less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Bespoke Trimmings in Hickory, NC
Passionate about curating & creating beautiful spaces, MJ Ramos of Bespoke Trimmings, enjoys working with private ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- 3D Paintings
- Abstract Paintings
- Action Paintings
- Beach Paintings
- Black Paintings
- Black and White Paintings
- Blue Paintings
- Car Paintings
- Cat Paintings
- Cherry Blossom Paintings
- Classic Paintings
- Color Field Paintings
- Dot Paintings
- Drawing/Sketching Materials Paintings
- Elephant Paintings
- Expressionism Paintings
- Face Paintings
- Famous Paintings
- Flower Paintings
- Forest Paintings
- Galaxy Paintings
- Genre Paintings
- Gouache Paintings
- Graphite Paintings
- Greek Paintings
- Horse Paintings
- House Paintings
- Landscape Paintings
- Mid-Century Modern Paintings
- Miniature Paintings
- Moon Paintings
- New York Paintings
- Nude Paintings
- Oil Paintings
- Portrait Paintings
- Rock Paintings
- Skull Paintings
- Still Life Paintings
- Sunflower Paintings
- Sunset Paintings
- Surrealist Paintings
- Tan Paintings
- Tree Paintings
- Venus Paintings
- White Paintings
- Yellow Paintings
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.