Mid 19th C. Victorian Mother of Pearl Inlay Papier Mache Chair
Victorian black lacquer papier mache chair. Mother of Pearl inlay with hand painted flowers and gold highlights. This chair was ...
moreVictorian black lacquer papier mache chair. Mother of Pearl inlay with hand painted flowers and gold highlights. This chair was once owned by 20th Century Fox and used as a movie prop. Which movies/films I am not certain but perhaps one day we will see it in one of the old films! I wonder which Hollywood artists sat in it?? I can visualize the art/prop department employees shopping for authentic period furniture...
The Victorians fell in love with the ancient Chinese art of inlaid lacquer furniture. The lacquer did not hold up in the English climate however so they developed papier (paper) mache to mimic the lacquer. Surprisingly, they are very sturdy as the art is applied over solid wood. This chair is sturdy enough to use...or placed to be appreciated as a piece of art.
Condition is very good for it's age.. There is a repair (see pic) which is hardly noticeable. Some areas of paint loss to be expected of an article that is at least 170 years old. Once upon a time it had a cane seat which was replaced with a wooden seat that can be removed for re-caning or your own upholstery. Whomever did the replacement did an excellent professional job. (most likely the handy person at 20th Century Fox)
Measures 34" tall x 16' wide x 14" deep. seat is 17" high
- 16ʺW × 14ʺD × 34ʺH
- Mid 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Some paint loss. One well executed repair which is hardly noticeable.(see pic) Cane seat was removed at some point ... moreSome paint loss. One well executed repair which is hardly noticeable.(see pic) Cane seat was removed at some point and was replaced with wood. Wooden seat can be easily removed for your own upholstery or it can be re-caned. less
- Place of Origin
- Paper Mache
- Seat Height
- 17.0 inches
- Seat Interior Depth
- 14.0 inches
- Seat Interior Width
- 16.0 inches
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 3-6 weeks.
20837 does not qualify.
Napping House Studio in Aptos, CA
I am a retired home stylist with an obsession for vintage home decor. I closed ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.