- Casegoods & Storage
- Credenzas & Sideboards
- 1898-1920 Cole Brothers Ltd. England Chippendal...
1898-1920 Cole Brothers Ltd. England Chippendale Revival Mahogany Sideboard
The Cole Brothers were John, Thomas, and, later, Skelton Cole. The business was established at 4 Fargate, Sheffield, England in ...
moreThe Cole Brothers were John, Thomas, and, later, Skelton Cole. The business was established at 4 Fargate, Sheffield, England in 1847 as "Silk Mercers and Hosiers". They expanded rapidly into offering shawls, mantles, carpets, bonnets and sewing machines. By 1869 they had expanded the store along Fargate and around the corner onto Church Street and rebuilt the stores with a new frontage and two extra storeys.
By 1898 the business was incorporated as Cole Brothers Ltd. and John passed away. Skelton Cole died in 1896 so did not live to see this achievement. Thomas passed in 1902.
Two Cole sons, Thomas and Thomas Skelton, continued to run the business.
The Cole family ranked prominently among Sheffield society and "Cole's Corner" became the place to meet. Cole's embraced technology, adding delivery vans in 1911 and cash registers in 1916. They even had their own fire brigade. Cole's began employing women in 1909 which is one aspect of how Cole's succeeded throughout the First World War.
In 1920 Cole's added two more storeys to the store, then sold to H. Gordon Selfridge, the American businessman behind the well-known Selfridges of London.
Here is where we leave the history of Cole's as it is representative of the era this mahogany sideboard would have been offered for sale there - 1898-1920.
This Chippendale Revival mahogany sideboard is well made with carved-knee cabriole legs finished back and front with a ball and claw foot, sturdy interior shelves, and is heavy due to it's solid wood carcase. Decoration is achieved with the addition of a Neoclassical bas relief frieze and soft pediment backsplash. The pulls and escutcheons are cast in brass. The sideboard is of the same quality found in pieces manufactured by Johnson & Appleyards.
The quality also fulfills the criteria of the "Sheffield Code" for furniture: durability, comfort, practicality, respectability, cleanliness, propriety, and value for the money
This sideboard will complement interiors incorporating elements of Georgian, Neoclassical, Chippendale, and more 18th through early 20th century styles.
- 62.5ʺW × 22.5ʺD × 46ʺH
- Place of Origin
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
India Street Antiques / Danish Modern San Diego in San Diego, CA
India Street Antiques has been importing European vintage and antiques to San Diego since 1991 ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Antique Credenzas
- Bar Credenzas
- Brass Credenzas & Sideboards
- Brass Credenzas & Sideboards
- Brown Credenzas & Sideboards
- Chippendale Credenzas & Sideboards
- Credenzas with Hutches
- Entertainment Credenzas
- File Credenzas
- Floating Credenzas
- Gold Credenzas & Sideboards
- Hollywood Regency Credenzas & Sideboards
- Kitchen Credenzas
- Low Credenzas
- Mahogany Credenzas & Sideboards
- Media Credenzas
- Metal Credenzas & Sideboards
- Neoclassical Credenzas & Sideboards
- Office Credenzas
- San Diego Credenzas & Sideboards
- Small Credenzas
- Storage Credenzas
- TV Credenzas
- Traditional Credenzas & Sideboards
- Wine Credenzas
- Wood Credenzas & Sideboards
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.