Qing Dynasty Chinese Teapot Box
The seller has put this item on hold. Check back when the hold expires to see if this item is still available.
Purchased San Francisco in mid-1960's from a trusted dealer of Asian antiques, this 8-sided teapot caddy was dated between the ...
morePurchased San Francisco in mid-1960's from a trusted dealer of Asian antiques, this 8-sided teapot caddy was dated between the early 1860's to mid 1870's. The box is lacquered in black and hand painted - each side is framed with the same design for continuity, but each of the feature panels has a different painting of a bird and landscape in a soft blue-gray. The colors have the softness only age can bring.
The wood looks to be rosewood (not positive, so please see pictures). The wood staves are enclosed with two iron bands. The bands have an aged patina; they are not drilled into the box, but float on the surface. The handle is very nicely hand-carved and features two dragons with mouths wide open, forming a space for a hand hold. The handle also features some early engineering in its method of closure.
This box has the charming irregularities that are characteristic of hand-fashioned items, rather than the precise match of something machine made. It has a commanding size and weighs just under 4 pounds.
- 9ʺW × 9ʺD × 11ʺH
- Mid 19th Century
- Place of Origin
- Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Only a few minor dings or small spots that have lost lacquer or paint Only a few minor dings or small spots that have lost lacquer or paint less
Georgia H. in Morris, CT
I am settling my mother's estate -- she was an ASID designer for many years ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Asian Antique Boxes
- Asian Boxes
- Black Boxes
- Buddha Boxes
- Candy Boxes
- Card Boxes
- Chinese Boxes
- Cigar Boxes
- Cigarette Boxes
- Decorative Boxes
- Display Boxes
- Dragon Boxes
- File Boxes
- Hat Boxes
- Heart Shaped Boxes
- Jewelry Boxes
- Knife Boxes
- Lacquer Boxes
- Letter Boxes
- Lock Boxes
- Match Boxes
- Metal Boxes
- Mirror Boxes
- Music Boxes
- Nesting Boxes
- Pill Boxes
- Puzzle Boxes
- Ring Boxes
- Rosewood Boxes
- Spice Boxes
- Stash Boxes
- Storage Boxes
- Tea Boxes
- Tool Boxes
- Treasure Boxes
- Trinket Boxes
- Wood Boxes
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.