Luce Furniture Company Louis XVI Black Marble Top Painted Sideboard
The Luce Furniture Company of Grand Rapds, Michigan came into being after Ransom C. Luce became president of McCord and ...
moreThe Luce Furniture Company of Grand Rapds, Michigan came into being after Ransom C. Luce became president of McCord and Bradfield Furniture Company in 1880. Luce was one of the founding partners of McCord and Bradfield. The company changed it's name to Luce in 1896.
Luce became the world's largest manufacturer exclusively of bedroom and dining room suites. They specialized first in the Glasgow and English Arts and Crafts style due to staff designer Thomas Handley who was trained at Waring and Gillow of London. Luce began manufacturing period revival furniture in the 1910s and 1920s with new design hires Stanley Holt Stirrup (also trained at Waring and Gillow) and Thomas Johnson, also a Londoner. Johnson specialized in designing the Great Luce Line of period revival suites. The sideboard shown here would have been designed by Stirrup or Johnson. and would have been offered for sale anytime between 1916 and 1929.
The original Luce ad shown is from 1916 and shows a similar design aesthetic to the piece shown here.
The company trademark on this piece (as shown in photo) features the word "LUCE" in slender, upper case letters. This trademark was used from at least 1909 through the 1920s.
Luce sold in 1930 and was reorganized to reopen in 1935 with a line of Art Deco furniture.
This Luce Louis XVI sideboard is constructed of oak and painted in the playful pastel colors of golden yellow and green found on mid-to-late 18th century French styles. The top is black marble. The decorative elements are based on traditional classicism favored in the Louis XV and XVI styles; acanthus leaves, laurel leaf swags, and the Greek key motif. The paintings feature the cherubs and flowers preferred in art in the late 18th century. The overall aesthetic is feminine, fine, and dainty. The single large drawer has two storage sections divided by one partition.
This piece may be utilized as a sideboard, entry table, butler's table, pier table, etc. and will blend well with Louis XIV, XV, XVI and Italian Renaissance interiors. It will also complement Art Deco, Paris Apartment, French Cottage, and other eclectic styles. It will be a fine companion for Berkey and Gay and Widdicombe hand painted furniture collections.
Please expect minor signs of past use as this is an antique aged 89 to 102 years of age. The marble is fine, but you may notice signs of paint wear and chipping to decorative elements.
- 54ʺW × 19ʺD × 56ʺH
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Black Marble
- Vintage / Antique / Used, Restored, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Item is 89 to 102 years old. We have cleaned this piece and waxed it, but you may still notice ... moreItem is 89 to 102 years old. We have cleaned this piece and waxed it, but you may still notice patina from years of exposure. There are some minor chips and cracking to decorative details. Overall piece is sturdy and ready for use. less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
India Street Antiques / Danish Modern San Diego in San Diego, CA
India Street Antiques has been importing European vintage and antiques to San Diego since 1991 ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Antique Credenzas
- Bar Credenzas
- Black Credenzas & Sideboards
- Credenzas with Hutches
- Entertainment Credenzas
- File Credenzas
- Floating Credenzas
- French Credenzas & Sideboards
- Green Credenzas & Sideboards
- Italian Credenzas & Sideboards
- Kitchen Credenzas
- Louis XV Credenzas & Sideboards
- Louis XVI Credenzas & Sideboards
- Low Credenzas
- Media Credenzas
- Mediterranean Credenzas & Sideboards
- Neoclassical Credenzas & Sideboards
- Oak Credenzas & Sideboards
- Office Credenzas
- Renaissance Credenzas & Sideboards
- San Diego Credenzas & Sideboards
- Shabby Chic Credenzas & Sideboards
- Small Credenzas
- Storage Credenzas
- TV Credenzas
- Traditional Credenzas & Sideboards
- Wine Credenzas
- Wood Credenzas & Sideboards
- Yellow Credenzas & Sideboards
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.