20th Century African Mahogany Bantu Carved Tribal Chief Chairs - a Pair
This product is no longer available.
This is a pair of chairs carved by the Bantu Tribe of the Kingdom of Kongo. They are two-board tribal ...
moreThis is a pair of chairs carved by the Bantu Tribe of the Kingdom of Kongo. They are two-board tribal chief chairs.
Ornately and deeply carved by Bantu craftsmen, these hand-carved chief chairs are carved from two solid planks of exquisite African mahogany which is as much a functional design choice as artistic. Compared to other woods, mahogany is among the most durable and lends to these chairs enduring strength. The chairs are finished in a deep brown stain which has a subtle red undertone that compliments the tones of the wood. Each chair “folds” when the board with the carved-out tendon (seat) is removed from the morticed board (back). Two-board chairs are typically decorated minimally and lack the overall artistic technique that these chairs feature such as rope border detail, “dug out” or “canoe” back, again with incredible detail, foliate carvings, and animal motifs of Kongo such as giraffes and elephants. The natural grain patterns in the wood, top-to-bottom elaborate decoration with borders and animal motifs, solid construction, high-back and carved or “dug out” seat make these chairs quite difficult to come by, especially in this superior condition, let alone still paired. Unparalleled Bantu craftsmanship and supreme decorative carvings, foliate, and animal motifs make these chairs genuinely one-of-a-kind. Carvings can be seen on both the top and bottom of the back-piece as well as on the seat portion. These carvings create a backdrop for animals – elephants marching and giraffes grazing leaves from a Bonobo tree.
These Chairs’ natural wood material with their timeless design make them ideal for any indoor space as well as any outdoor “room” such as a patio, porch, deck, or sunroom. Functional, sculptural, and one-of-a-kind, these tribal chief chairs are Bantu works of art by the Bantu tribes of Kongo, Africa. When placed and enjoyed, these chairs make a memorable design statement as well as low-profile, ergonomic seating. Care was taken during the construction process to make these chairs as surprisingly comfortable as they are. The smooth carvings feel great on your back as you sit and are beautifully contoured and smooth. The geometric shape of the chairs helps to add balance to the upholstered look of Western furnishings, ultimately elevating the overall warmth and interest of a space. Their utilitarian, easily stored and ultra-space-saving design and construction allows for impactful, versatile seating. Each chair can easily be relocated and its construction allows for effortless and compact storage, a plus when it comes to smart design for the 21st century home. The chairs exude feelings of earth, nature, harmony, tribe, culture, strength and life.
- 18ʺW × 25ʺD × 38ʺH
- Mid 20th Century
- Place of Origin
- Congo, Democratic Republic of the (Kinshasa)
- Very Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Sturdy with No Compromising Cracks. No Chips on the Wood. Sturdy with No Compromising Cracks. No Chips on the Wood. less
- Seat Height
- 15.0 inches
- Seat Interior Width
- 18.0 inches
DeVonte in Richmond, VA
I'm fascinated by a mix of Tribal artifacts and Modern sleekness.
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Accent Chairs for Living Room
- Accent Chairs with Arms
- African Side Chairs
- Animal Print Accent Chairs
- Armless Accent Chairs
- Bedroom Accent Chairs
- Black and White Accent Chairs
- Blue and White Accent Chairs
- Brown Side Chairs
- Cow Hide Accent Chairs
- Floral Accent Chairs
- High Back Accent Chairs
- Mahogany Side Chairs
- Paris Accent Chairs
- Patterned Accent Chairs
- Primitive Side Chairs
- Reclining Accent Chairs
- Round Accent Chairs
- Small Accent Chairs
- Striped Accent Chairs
- Studded Accent Chairs
- Swivel Accent Chairs
- Tribal Side Chairs
- Tufted Accent Chairs
- Unique Accent Chairs
- Upholstered Accent Chairs
- Vintage Accent Chairs
- Wood Side Chairs
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.