17th C. Japanese the Tale of Genji Byobu Screen
Exquisite and exceptional 17th or 18th century Japanese Six-Panel Byobu Screen depicting The Tale of Genji or Genji Monogatari scene ...
moreExquisite and exceptional 17th or 18th century Japanese Six-Panel Byobu Screen depicting The Tale of Genji or Genji Monogatari scene. The Kano School artist used the gold leaf to create a distinguish gold background and besides watercolor and gouache, also used the gold pigments "myst" to link the scenes based on the principle of Yamato-e. This pattern gives the rhythm, movement and it will contribute to create the feeling of eternity.
Gold leaf, gold pigments "myst", watercolor, gouache on paper. Silk border decorated with embroidery. Black lacquered wood frame with original metal hardware showing dark age patina. The backside of the screen - covered with Karakami paper (woodblock) printed paper.
Very good condition for age. There is age wear on wood frame and backing, some age wear on the painting and silk border. One very minor damage found on the top of the painting, close to the border, on the third panel. Some colors faded with time, which brings out more beauty in the art piece. The fading of the colors in the screen shows its age and creates the balance between the strength of the perfect structure and softness of the aging texture. Hinges are still holding pretty well.
This very rare piece comes from an old collection of Asian Art. Japan, Tokugawa (Edo) Period, 1600-1867. As is.
- 72ʺW × 0.5ʺD × 24.5ʺH
- 17th Century
- Place of Origin
- Gold Leaf
- Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Very good - age wear on frame and backing, some age wear on the painting, sturdy. Very good - age wear on frame and backing, some age wear on the painting, sturdy. less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
MIRA PARKER, DESIGN & ANTIQUES in Dallas, TX
- Super Seller 2018
Antiques and art dealer, interior designer, collector and buyer, photographer, web and graphic designer, translator ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- 3D Paintings
- Action Paintings
- Asian Antique Paintings
- Asian Paintings
- Beach Paintings
- Black Paintings
- Black and White Paintings
- Brown Paintings
- Car Paintings
- Cat Paintings
- Cherry Blossom Paintings
- Chinoiserie Paintings
- Classic Paintings
- Color Field Paintings
- Dallas Paintings
- Dot Paintings
- Elephant Paintings
- Face Paintings
- Famous Paintings
- Flower Paintings
- Forest Paintings
- Galaxy Paintings
- Genre Paintings
- Gold Paintings
- Gouache Paintings
- Greek Paintings
- Horse Paintings
- House Paintings
- Japanese Paintings
- Lacquer Paintings
- Landscape Paintings
- Metal Paintings
- Miniature Paintings
- Moon Paintings
- Nude Paintings
- Oil Paintings
- Ornamental & Decorative Materials Paintings
- Pink Paintings
- Portrait Paintings
- Red Paintings
- Rock Paintings
- Skull Paintings
- Still Life Paintings
- Sunflower Paintings
- Sunset Paintings
- Surrealist Paintings
- Tan Paintings
- Tree Paintings
- Turquoise Paintings
- Venus Paintings
- White Paintings
- Wood Paintings
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.