Picasso Portrait De Maya à La Poupée, 1971 Parisian Photogravure
Tipped-in plate photogravure after Portrait De Maya à la poupée (Portrait of Maya With Doll, 1938) by Pablo Picasso from ...
moreTipped-in plate photogravure after Portrait De Maya à la poupée (Portrait of Maya With Doll, 1938) by Pablo Picasso from "Picasso" book published by New French Editions in Paris, 1971. The photogravure is attached to an insert of heavy paper, not the book page. Copy by Georges Boudaille on the back of the insert. This is a period print meaning it was published when the artist was still living. Great colors. Excellent condition.
Created in 1938, the New York Times described it as “a colorful Cubist portrait of Picasso’s daughter Maya Widmaier-Picasso as a child clutching a doll.”
Maya with Doll is an oil painting made by Picasso in 1938. Maya with Doll is painted in cubist style and features Picasso’s daughter, Maya, clutching her doll. Picasso was among /artists who pioneered the cubist movement. Cubism can be defined as a type of art in which objects are broken apart and reassembled in an abstract way, so that each object is depicted from multiple viewpoints. In 2007, Maya with Doll was stolen from the home of Picasso’s granddaughter. Luckily, it was recovered by French police later that year.
As daughter Maya plays with her doll, adoring father Picasso plays with his latest artistic processing of space and colour. The plastic phase of figurative distortion is continued, while the characteristics of the face are pushed and remoulded, as though constructed from modelling clay. As always, Picasso’s sense of fun and humour surface: the doll has the real face, whereas that of the child is surreal, a beautiful juxtaposition. Both heads are absurdly enlarged compared to the rest of the body. The doll’s eyes match Maia’s outfit and Maya’s match the doll’s sailor’s costume, and so the child is interchangeable with the doll.
The doll is probably a bizarre signifier for Picasso the father, who as a child was also pictured dressed in such an outfit. In the same way, Picasso was interchangeable with his son Paulo in the harlequin costume in his portrait of 1924. Despite the modernist distortions, this painting of Maya is suggestive of that earlier sentimental picture. The cuffs, ruffs and frills of sixteenth-century Spanish master Diego Velazquez, featured in the Paulo portrait, return here in Maya’s frothy attire. They serve to define the body’s pyramidal outline against the simplistic horizontal blocks of brown and white that separate the floor and wall planes. less
- 9.5ʺW × 0.1ʺD × 12.75ʺH
- Abstract Expressionism
- English Traditional
- Pablo Picasso
- Place of Origin
- Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - minor age wear, never used Excellent - minor age wear, never used less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Print Shop in Dallas, TX
Antiques and art dealer, interior designer, collector and buyer, photographer, web and graphic designer, translator ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- 3D Paintings
- Abstract Paintings
- Action Paintings
- Beach Paintings
- Black and White Paintings
- Blue Paintings
- Brown Paintings
- Car Paintings
- Cat Paintings
- Cherry Blossom Paintings
- Cinnamon Paintings
- Classic Paintings
- Color Field Paintings
- Contemporary Paintings
- Cottage Paintings
- Dallas Paintings
- Dot Paintings
- Elephant Paintings
- English Traditional Paintings
- Face Paintings
- Famous Paintings
- Flower Paintings
- Forest Paintings
- French Paintings
- Galaxy Paintings
- Genre Paintings
- Gray Paintings
- Greek Paintings
- Green Paintings
- Horse Paintings
- House Paintings
- Italian Paintings
- Landscape Paintings
- Lithograph Paintings
- Mediterranean Paintings
- Miniature Paintings
- Moon Paintings
- Nude Body Paintings
- Oil Paintings
- Portrait Paintings
- Printmaking Materials Paintings
- Red Paintings
- Rock Paintings
- Rustic Paintings
- Shabby Chic Paintings
- Skull Paintings
- Still Life Paintings
- Sunflower Paintings
- Sunset Paintings
- Surrealist Paintings
- Traditional Paintings
- Transitional Paintings
- Tree Paintings
- Venus Paintings
- White Paintings
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.