1940s Gustavian Ivory Klismos Dining Chairs - Set of 6
These Regency chairs were hand-crafted in mahogany in the 1940s or ‘50s in the Biggs workshop in Richmond, Virginia, a ...
moreThese Regency chairs were hand-crafted in mahogany in the 1940s or ‘50s in the Biggs workshop in Richmond, Virginia, a 20th Century maker of high-end, classic furniture. Sadly, hand-crafted furniture could not compete with mass produced furniture, and the Biggs company was bought out in 1975. The lovely curved back of these chairs features a handsomely embellished, carved rail. The seat sits on simple saber legs. (The seat is a “slip seat”, easy to re-upholster whenever you have a whim to re-decorate.) The klismos design originated with the ancient Greeks over two millennia ago, dating back to the 5th Century BCE. These 20th Century chairs have been given an aged and distressed Gustavian off-white enamel finish, and they’ve been newly upholstered with a more up-to-date fabric, a heavy cotton matelassé that matches the enamel in accordance with the Gustavian style. (The fabric is shown in the second photo.) The clean lines and neutral colors give these chairs broad versatility with a wide range of palettes and design schemes.
Do your homework and compare them to the Gustavian furniture being sold on-line today, much of which is mass produced and shoddily manufactured. You can have hand-crafted, solid mahogany chairs for a fraction of the price!
The chairs measure 33 ½ inches high, and the seats are 17 ½ inches from the floor. They are 19 inches deep. There are four side chairs and two captains chairs. The side chairs measure 19 inches wide, and the arm chairs measure 23 inches wide.
- 19ʺW × 19ʺD × 33.5ʺH
- Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Design Modified, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Given an aged, off-white (ivory) finish and newly re-upholstered, these chairs are now in what some would describe as "like ... more Given an aged, off-white (ivory) finish and newly re-upholstered, these chairs are now in what some would describe as "like new" condition. When we acquired these chairs, one of them had undergone a repair which appeared to be well done, but was visible, nonetheless. With the new antique white finish, we are now uncertain about which chair had the repair! All of the chairs are sound, sturdy , and wobble-free. less
- Seat Height
- 17.5 inches
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Møbelhuset i Virginia in Danville, VA
We're scouring the countryside -- often D.C., Virginia, and the Carolinas -- sometimes Oslo, Malmö ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Boho Chic Dining Chairs
- Comfortable Dining Chairs
- Danish Dining Chairs
- Dining Chairs with Arms
- Fabric Dining Chairs
- Farmhouse Dining Chairs
- Folding Dining Chairs
- Gustavian (Swedish) Dining Chairs
- High Back Dining Chairs
- Hollywood Regency Dining Chairs
- Mahogany Dining Chairs
- Regency Dining Chairs
- Reupholstered Dining Chairs
- Rolling Dining Chairs
- Round Back Dining Chairs
- Swivel Dining Chairs
- Tall Dining Chairs
- Traditional Dining Chairs
- Tufted Dining Chairs
- Upholstered Dining Chairs
- White Dining Chairs
- Wood Dining Chairs
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.