Mid 19th Century Oil on Canvas Countryside Oak Tree by Charles Volkmar
This is a rare Charles Volkmar Landscape Painting sold at a museum for $10,000.
This landscape is signed lower ... moreThis is a rare Charles Volkmar Landscape Painting sold at a museum for $10,000.
This landscape is signed lower right bottom and is in exquisite condition.
CHARLES VOLKMAR (1841-1914)
Charles Volkmar is best known today as a ceramic artist, but in the mid-1860s, at the outset of his career, he was very much the model of an aspiring landscape painter. Most of his canvases were of considerable dimensions, and though they were probably studied in the United States, many of these American subjects were painted in Europe, along with Barbizon and other French scenes.
During his first visit in 1864, he exhibited a landscape entitled Gorges Creek, Va. at the National Academy of Design in New York; on his next trip in 1867, he married his wife Nettie. Volkmar returned to Europe and took up studies with Henri Harpignies, the Barbizon landscapist. He made his first appearance at the Paris Salon in 1875 and thereafter became a regular exhibitor of paintings, etchings and pottery.
Volkmar exhibited landscapes and animal pictures at the National Academy of Design from 1864 until 1894; at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts Annual, 1877, 1883; at the Boston Art Club, 1881, 1884, 1892-94; at the Brooklyn Art Association, 1883, 1885; and at the American Watercolor Society, 1898.
- 64.5ʺW × 5ʺD × 41ʺH
- Mid 19th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Age appropriate condition. The frame is a replacement - not original to the piece Age appropriate condition. The frame is a replacement - not original to the piece less
- Art Subject
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
Typical Delivery Time: 3-6 weeks.
67570 does not qualify.
The Galleries of Brian Brigham in Greer, SC
The Galleries of Brian Brigham is an antiques & interiors market filled with items from all ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- French Paintings
- Horse Paintings
- Oil Paintings
- Portrait Paintings
- Nude Paintings
- Miniature Paintings
- Landscape Paintings
- Sunflower Paintings
- Flower Paintings
- Cat Paintings
- Shabby Chic Paintings
- Surrealist Paintings
- Still Life Paintings
- Black and White Paintings
- Blue Paintings
- 3D Paintings
- Sunset Paintings
- Traditional Paintings
- Gold Paintings
- Greek Paintings
- Green Paintings
- Wood Paintings
- Beach Paintings
- Dot Paintings
- Cherry Blossom Paintings
- Etching Paintings
- Famous Paintings
- Forest Paintings
- Action Paintings
- Car Paintings
- Color Field Paintings
- House Paintings
- Moon Paintings
- Face Paintings
- Tree Paintings
- Ceramic Paintings
- Classic Paintings
- Genre Paintings
- Pottery Paintings
- Venus Paintings
- Watercolor Paintings
- Airbrush Paintings
- Canvas Paintings
- Dog Paintings
- Early American Paintings
- Forest Green Paintings
- Fruit Oil Paintings
- Galaxy Paintings
- Oak Paintings
- Printmaking Materials Paintings
- Rock Paintings
- Sky Blue Paintings
- Still Life Oil Paintings
- Textile Paintings
- Venice Oil Paintings
- Watercolor Paintings
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.