Mexican Folk Art Batea Bowls - A Pair
A beautiful Pair of Batea bowls handpainted in Mexico. These beautiful toleware type bowls were found among several beautiful items ...
moreA beautiful Pair of Batea bowls handpainted in Mexico. These beautiful toleware type bowls were found among several beautiful items at an estate in Riverside. They are very attractive with bright red, blue white yellow and greens painted in flowers leaves and vines. Each bowl is carved by hand and you can feel and see the original tool marks used to form the shapes. They measure about 11" in diameter and are a shallow bowl shape. They are very decorative and would look great hanging on a wall. The finish on one of the bowls is a little more distressed than the other.
I found this description from a Mexican Folk Art Dealer La Calca: This antique Mexican decorative platter, or batea, made of carved solid wood is a beautiful example of the indigenous painted lacquerware technique. Using the traditional technique of Quiroga, Michoacán, these bateas have been made in this village for over 450 years. The wooden platters were used for offerings, marriages, dance dramas, processions, parades, and for decoration. These bateas were hollowed out by way of meticulous carvings with small woodworking tools and lacquered with a mixture of vegetable oil, powdered pigments and melted tar. Floral and foliate designs typically ornate these antique bateas. This piece was carved during the mid-twentieth century, 1930’s-1960’s. less
- 11ʺW × 2ʺD × 2ʺH
- Place of Origin
- Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left Good - Moderate wear and tear, but still has good years left less
Soul Bungalow in Claremont, CA
Hi everyone! Thank you for stopping by my shop. I LOVE collecting vintage and antique ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Bird Bowls
- Blue Decorative Bowls
- Boho Chic Decorative Bowls
- Candy Bowls
- Dough Bowls
- Dragon Bowls
- Folk Art Decorative Bowls
- Footed Bowls
- Fruit Bowls
- Green Decorative Bowls
- Mixing Bowls
- Nesting Bowls
- Pedestal Bowls
- Punch Bowls
- Red Decorative Bowls
- Rice Bowls
- Salad Bowls
- Serving Bowls
- Soup Bowls
- White Decorative Bowls
- Wood Decorative Bowls
- Yellow Decorative Bowls
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.