1995 Conway Thompson " Aphrodite Series #5" Bronze Sculpture
Nationally recognized Virginia artist Conway Thompson obtained her Master's Degree in Sculpture from The Instituto Allende in ... moreUnited States
Nationally recognized Virginia artist Conway Thompson obtained her Master's Degree in Sculpture from The Instituto Allende in Mexico after her studies at Mary Washington College (Fredericksburg, Virginia), Art Students League (New York, New York) and in 1950 at Cooper Union School of Art in New York City. In the essay "Conway Thompson: A Retrospective" at Longwood Center for the Visual Arts, writer Cassandra Cossitt states, "Conway Thompson's journey as an artist is marked by a number of turning points: The kindness of Louise Nevelson and David Smith, both on the verge of international fame, recognized Thompson as a serious artist and offered encouragement and support." Thompson's first public recognition came after receiving The Virginia Museum Fellowship for Professional Artists. In the early 1960's Thompson returned to Virginia and in 1963 became the first director of the Hand Workshop (Visual Arts Center of Richmond). She managed the center from 1964 to 1968 and many consider her contribution to that organization one of her crowning achievements. In 1968 she traveled to Europe and returned to creating marble sculpture. "Her work explores earth and womanhood." As a sculptor she worked in wood, stone and metal and she later taught at the University of Richmond, the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts and Longwood College in 1971. The influences of her mentors; sculptors Henry Moore, Jacques Lipchitz, David Smith and Louise Nevelson is evident in her work, but she has created a style rooted in an agarian heritage that is uniquely her own. The smooth textured reclining bronze sculpture "Aphrodite Series #5 reflects this aesthetic. Conway Thompson's work is in many prestigious corporate and private collections among them Bank of America (Richmond, Virginia), Federal Reserve Bank (Richmond, Virginia), Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (Richmond, Virginia), Randolph Macon College (Ashland, Virginia) and Longwood University (Farmville, Virginia). less
- 10ʺW × 7.25ʺD × 4.5ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Maurice Beane Art and Design in Richmond, VA
20th Century Decorative Arts Dealer | Furniture Designer | Architectural Metalworker
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.