Astrid Fitzgerald "No. 41" Acrylic on Canvas 1974
Internationally recognized artist, Astrid Fitzgerald was born in Wil, Switzerland and came to the United States in ... more United States
Internationally recognized artist, Astrid Fitzgerald was born in Wil, Switzerland and came to the United States in 1961 after studying at College St. Agnes in Fribourg, Switzerland in 1955 and Polytechnic School in London, England in 1958. After her arrival in the U.S. she studied at the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York in 1968 and Pratt Graphics Center in N.Y.C. in 1972. After spending a year at the Art Students League in NYC and becoming an award winning artist Astrid began painting large scale geometric canvases. She explored Illusionism in a series of work from the mid 1970's. The large painting "No. 41" is from this body of work which "reflects the nature of dimension and illusion." According to the artist "she spatter painted with thousands of tiny dots of acrylic paint, the surface of the painting, though flat, seems to shift, drawing the eye into improbable dimensions when viewed from a distance." Astrid says she sought to question the reality of matter, space and surface. Geometry has always been an important element in her work. The painting is signed on the canvas and the stretcher on the verso and dated 1974. Having been inspired by the artist Wassily Kandinsky, Astrid says, "some of my works suggest the underlying order and symmetry of the universe as revealed in physics and astronomy." Her work has been shown in 21 exhibitions in Europe, Asia, and the United States and is represented in many public, private and corporate collections among them the Aldrich Museum of Contemporary Art, Lehman Brothers, NYC, The New York Stock Exchange, Rockefeller Center Collection, NYC, I. M. PEI and Partners, NYC, and Chase Manhattan Collection, NYC." An installation by Fitzgerald was selected to represent the United States at the Art Canal Exposition in Le Landeron, Switzerland in 2002." Astrid Fitzgerald lives and works in New York City and the Hudson Valley. In closing she states, " my aim remains constant: To make art and objects with a presence that can be appreciated on both its physical aspect and it's intrinsic content." less
- 60ʺW × 1ʺD × 54.3ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Maurice Beane Art and Design in Richmond, VA
20th Century Decorative Arts Dealer | Furniture Designer | Architectural Metalworker
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.