Astrid Fitzgerald "No. 41" Acrylic on Canvas 1974
Internationally recognized artist, Astrid Fitzgerald was born in Wil, Switzerland and came to the United States in ... more United States
Internationally recognized artist, Astrid Fitzgerald was born in Wil, Switzerland and came to the United States in 1961 after studying at College St. Agnes in Fribourg, Switzerland in 1955 and Polytechnic School in London, England in 1958. After her arrival in the U.S. she studied at the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York in 1968 and Pratt Graphics Center in N.Y.C. in 1972. After spending a year at the Art Students League in NYC and becoming an award winning artist Astrid began painting large scale geometric canvases. She explored Illusionism in a series of work from the mid 1970's. The large painting "No. 41" is from this body of work which "reflects the nature of dimension and illusion." According to the artist "she spatter painted with thousands of tiny dots of acrylic paint, the surface of the painting, though flat, seems to shift, drawing the eye into improbable dimensions when viewed from a distance." Astrid says she sought to question the reality of matter, space and surface. Geometry has always been an important element in her work. The painting is signed on the canvas and the stretcher on the verso and dated 1974. Having been inspired by the artist Wassily Kandinsky, Astrid says, "some of my works suggest the underlying order and symmetry of the universe as revealed in physics and astronomy." Her work has been shown in 21 exhibitions in Europe, Asia, and the United States and is represented in many public, private and corporate collections among them the Aldrich Museum of Contemporary Art, Lehman Brothers, NYC, The New York Stock Exchange, Rockefeller Center Collection, NYC, I. M. PEI and Partners, NYC, and Chase Manhattan Collection, NYC." An installation by Fitzgerald was selected to represent the United States at the Art Canal Exposition in Le Landeron, Switzerland in 2002." Astrid Fitzgerald lives and works in New York City and the Hudson Valley. In closing she states, " my aim remains constant: To make art and objects with a presence that can be appreciated on both its physical aspect and it's intrinsic content." less
- 60ʺW × 1ʺD × 54.3ʺH
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
- Shipping Options
- Estimated White Glove Shipping - $439
- Free Local Pickup in Richmond, VA
- Ask the seller if Local Delivery is available
Maurice Beane Art and Design in Richmond, VA
20th Century Decorative Arts Dealer | Furniture Designer | Architectural Metalworker
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- White Glove Shipping
- Appropriate for large or fragile items.
- Costs range from $100 for smaller items delivered locally to $1,000+ for extra large items transported across the Continental United States. Final cost depends on the size of the items and the locations of both the buyer and the seller.
- Local deliveries typically take about 2 weeks and longer distance deliveries typically take about three to six weeks after pickup (pickup may take up to 10 business days).
- Please note that pickups may take longer in some locations where white glove pickup and delivery are less frequent. In some cases delivery can take up to 8 weeks.
- Flat Rate Shipping
- Shipment through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS. Appropriate for smaller items, most accessories and some small furniture.
- Costs range from $9 to $299 and up, depending on the size and weight of the item.
- Delivery is typically 7-10 days business days after the item ships (which may take up to three business days).
- Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows a buyer to avoid shipping costs by picking up an item in person.
- You will receive a Pickup Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at the time of pickup.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a pickup date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Local Delivery
- As a lower cost alternative, some of our sellers offer local curbside delivery within a limited geography around their location.
- The buyer will receive a Delivery Verification Code, which must be presented to the seller at time of delivery.
- The buyer must contact the seller within five business days of their purchase to coordinate a delivery date and time. Delays may result in cancellation of the order.
- Buyers should plan accordingly if additional labor is required to move the item inside or upstairs.
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- White Glove & Flat Rate Shipping
- Buyers have up to 48 hours after delivery to inspect their item and email email@example.com to initiate a return.
- For Flat Rate Shipping returns, buyers will be responsible for packaging and shipping the return within three business days after return shipping label (pre-paid by Chairish) is received.
- There are no restocking fees, but we deduct outbound and return shipping charges from the buyer's original purchase price (+ taxes when applicable).
- Buyers may not be reimbursed for returns that are not received in original condition.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.