Scottish Farthingale Chairs- 2
***Please note: I have had these Farthingale side chairs appraised since listing them. One done by a major London auction ...
more***Please note: I have had these Farthingale side chairs appraised since listing them. One done by a major London auction house and One by a major U.S. auction house. ***Price is per chair. original description was upheld by both. The figural busts on each chair was determined to be a child. The age, origin, and recognition as important pieces was reinforced.
These are very rare in the US and may be less rare in certain areas of Scotland where they were made. Their condition is superb! They are difficult to find even in the lowlands of Scotland. Both appraisers suggested these as part of a large set of banquet chairs made for a family with the carvings having familial significance. They would be used around a large table in a manor house or castle’s banquet room. They were carved to be part of a family crest.
At present, valuing such historical items is difficult. Both appraisers encouraged me to hang on to them until the resurgence of such antiquities. I am downsizing and need to part with many of my treasures.
I have lowered the price not because they lost value, but because of the current market. Thank you.
That being said.....I am open to good offers and will deliver in most areas in Texas.
These are fabulous late 1600’s to early 1700’s “Farthingale” Chairs, Scottish in origin. There are 2 and sold separately. (It would be ashamed to split them up!) Original and not reproductions! These are important pieces.
One of the 2 major representative Scottish shields, with a Lion rearing up, is carved in the top center of each chair with Griffons on either side. On the outer edges are figural busts. There are carvings underneath the Griffons, along the sides of the seats.
These are likely some of the 1st upholstered chairs. At the time, strict rules and standards for the work of an upholsterer existed. The quality of these chairs show the standards were quite high as well as the cost. Only the wealthiest could afford upholstered chairs when first made.
Before this the only seating were the plain medieval bench which could be put in front of a wall to lean against. Then the use of woven fabric to cover the bench but no padding.
(The 1st settee, and not a single person chair, was ordered for Knole, one of the great historic British houses. The ‘settee’ became an important prototype for what would become the sofa.)
The backs and seats are old red velvet. This could very well be the original velvet upholstery, may have been recovered in early to mid 19th century. If so, just the outer red velvet.
. They are in excellent condition. Both have padding of horse hair and/or straw seats pre-spring manufacturing. The seats are firm with a bit of an indentation that was present when I bought them 20 years ago. There has been little change even though I have used them regularly!
The leg style is “Chamfered,” from the late 1600’s to 1700’s. The bottom of each front leg has inserted balls that allow them to roll. The original balls had to have been wooden when the chairs were made. These were likely replaced after the introduction of using metal in furniture. They roll smoothly.
Each chair is regal, unusual , and rare. To me, worthy of a furniture museum.
They could be used as foyer seating or for dining.
Note: wiki has info on first use of springs in upholstery. Also, ‘Feathers - History of Upholstery’
These are a true “One of a Kind Find”! less
- 20ʺW × 18ʺD × 50ʺH
- 17th Century
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Very Good Condition, Original Design Modified, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history
May have been reupholstered in early to mid 19th century and only ... moreExcellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history
May have been reupholstered in early to mid 19th century and only the outer velvet. less
- Place of Origin
- Seat Height
- 36.0 inches
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
One of A Kind Finds in San Angelo, TX
One of a Kind Finds is a multi-aspect business. One of these is acquiring and ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Farmhouse Dining Chairs
- Wood Dining Chairs
- Swivel Dining Chairs
- English Traditional Dining Chairs
- Velvet Dining Chairs
- Traditional Dining Chairs
- Gothic Dining Chairs
- Folding Dining Chairs
- Round Back Dining Chairs
- Danish Dining Chairs
- Upholstered Dining Chairs
- High Back Dining Chairs
- Brown Dining Chairs
- Rolling Dining Chairs
- Comfortable Dining Chairs
- Black Outdoor Dining Chairs
- Outdoor Dining Chairs
- Tufted Dining Chairs
- Dining Chairs with Arms
- Tall Dining Chairs
- Rattan Outdoor Dining Chairs
- Reupholstered Dining Chairs
- Modern Outdoor Dining Chairs
- Outdoor Wood Dining Chairs
- Textile Dining Chairs
- White Outdoor Dining Chairs
- Gothic Revival Dining Chairs
- Oxblood Red Dining Chairs
- Teak Outdoor Dining Chairs
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.