1960s Toulouse Lautrec Poster, Divan Japonais
This product is no longer available.
Located at 75 rue des Martyrs in the Pigalle neighbourhood of Paris, France, the cafe-concert Divan Japonais was baptised in ...
moreLocated at 75 rue des Martyrs in the Pigalle neighbourhood of Paris, France, the cafe-concert Divan Japonais was baptised in 1873 by its owner Theophile Lefort, who named the theatre/bar "Japanese Divan" after its Japanese-inspired decor. In 1994 it was re-opened as Le Divan du Monde (The World Divan), a name which better represents the diversity of its programme which grew to include world music concerts and dancers from all genres.
This poster features dancer Jane Avril and critic Édouard Dujardin at Divan Japonais. Jane Avril (1868-1943) was a French can-can dancer made famous by Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec through his paintings. Extremely thin and 'given to jerky movements and sudden contortions', she was nicknamed La Mélinite, after an explosive. Working at whatever day jobs were available, at night she pursued a career in dancing by performing at local clubs. Hired by the Moulin Rouge nightclub in 1889, within a few years she headlined at the Jardin de Paris, one of the major café-concerts on the Champs-Élysées. To advertise the extravaganza, Lautrec painted her portrait on a poster that elevated her stature in the entertainment world even further.
Poster is unlined and in good condition with a pinhole in each corner. Perfect for a mudroom, the kitchen -- even the bathroom! Poster is ready to be framed for the home and office. less
- 24ʺW × 0.1ʺD × 31ʺH
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
L'Affichiste in Stowe, VT
Karen Etingin opened her Montreal gallery, L'Affichiste, ten years ago after deciding to turn ...
- Shop all from this seller
Q & A 0Ask the Seller
- Advertisement Posters
- Art Nouveau Posters
- Band Posters
- Belle Epoque Posters
- Charcoal Posters
- Circus Posters
- Classroom Posters
- Concert Posters
- French Posters
- Gray Posters
- Lithograph Posters
- Movie Posters
- Music Posters
- Orange Posters
- Printmaking Materials Posters
- Psychedelic Posters
- Retro Posters
- Rock Posters
- Safety Posters
- Science Posters
- Shabby Chic Posters
- Toulouse-Lautrec Posters
- Traditional Posters
- Travel Posters
- Yellow Posters
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- Chairish Local Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Local rates available on most items when the delivery location is within 50 miles
- Shipping charges start at $149, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Local deliveries typically take up to 3 weeks
- Chairish In-home Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
Delivery Type Under $2,000 Over $2,000 Chairish In-home Delivery $299 $399 Large Handling > 35 cu. ft. < 52 cu ft. $399 $449 Fragile and/or Oversized Handling Price may vary. Based on material, location and size. Price may vary. Based on material, location and size.
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return.
- All sales final 48 hours after receiving your purchase. (Except Free Local Pickup and Seller Managed Local Delivery — see below.)
- If a return is requested, please email email@example.com with the order number and reason for return.
- For approved returns, the buyer is responsible for full cost of return packing & shipping.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.